Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,271   Online: 816

Shooter
    Medium Format

Yashicamat 124 CLA in Vancouver?

I have a Yashicamat 124 (not 124G) which could do with a CLA. In particular, the shutter speeds of 1/4 sec and below are sticking.

Locally (Windhoek) I am completely out of luck, but I am going to be in Vancouver, BC in September. Can anyone recommend someone in Vancouver who would be capable of doing a good job of it?

Alternatively, can anyone tell me why those shutter speeds should fail while the others are fine?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's fairly typical with Copal shutters, the slow speeds get sticky. Sometimes it's lack of use, it's important to use the slow speeds every now and again. I've had similar problems with much newer Copal's, but it happens with other leaf shutters as well.

I had to have my own Yashicamat 124 shutter serviced last month for the same reason. They are over 40 years old !!!

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So should I see if I can pull the shutter and try the lighter fluid method, or am I better off with a full CLA?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd get it done properly, any reasonable camera repair shop should be able to do it very quickly.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check Camtex in Vancouver: (just out of the downtown core, easy to get to)

201-1855 Burrard Street
    Vancouver, BC V6J 3G9
    (604) 734-0242
    http://camtexgroup.com

Or you might try Vancam:

1666 8th Avenue West
    Vancouver, BC V6J 1V4
    (604) 736-4113
    http://www.vancam.com

I have used the both over the years. Recently though I'd give the nod to Camtex (but that's just my personal opinion.)

Hopefully we will have one of those wonderful Septembers when the weather's mild and the rain holds off. It can be one of the most beautiful times of the year in Vancouver.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dave, that's precisely the kind of info I was hoping to get! Thanks! So I'll be packing the Yashica...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin