Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,466   Online: 757

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Rolleiflex 2.8E and YashicaMat 124g Shutter Question

So I am finally getting around to using a couple of TLR's I picked up over the last 6 months. I have a nagging question in general about the shutters on these two. Is it ok to set the shutter speed after it has been cocked? I am very impressed with color negs from the 124G. Any other gimmicks with these things--I don't need to be breaking anything.

Shooter
    Medium Format

TLR

I personally do not change shutter speed once I have wound film (and thereby cocked shutter) I would rather waste a frame. Others do it regularily without problem.

Your yashica will deliver excellent negatives stopped down a few stops. The rollei will be just super.

Using a tripod and lens shade also make a difference.

Where in Minnesota are you? I am in Willmar-

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am in Rockford--east of you 70 miles. I need to get a lens hood for both. I have been trying to limit my shooting with them to in the shade or heavy overcast days until I source the lens hood. Thanks for the reply--there are quite a few Minnesotans here on APUG.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My understanding is that with some versions of the Rollei's Compur shutter you must engage 1/500 sec shutter speed before advancing the film transport. Other users may be able to give a more accurate/detailed response. Try posting your question on the TLR social group. (they're always looking for things to talk about.)

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not an issue with the Rolleiflex.
    I don't know about the Yashica.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not an issue with the Yashicamat either. Oh and you should get excellent negatives with the Yashica at all apertures.

You can download manuals for both cameras at this site.

The Compur shutter has a special tensioner for the highest speed 1/300th or 1/500 depending on the shutter, this has to be set before the lens is cocked. It's only the early Rolleicords & Rolleiflexes with these Compur and Compur Rapid shutters where you have to set the top speed before winding on.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin