Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,572   Online: 784

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Have you abandoned a 'system' kit in favor or a Rollei TLR?

I'm just wondering as I like TLR's. The leaf shutter, ground glass viewing and relatively light weight work well for me.

I've also come to the conclusion that I only need one lens. I've had a pentax 645 and hasselblad. I've never wanted another lens for the pentax and I can never afford another lens for the hasselblad.

It seems that a lot of people end up 'returning' to the rollei at some point. Is this the case for you?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In one word: yes. Whenever I sell a Rollei TLR, I always, always end up with another, shortly afterwards. It was my first real medium format camera. Silent, portable and just... magical.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I had to possess only ONE camera,
    no doubt it would be my *Rollei.

Add the Durst 606 enlarger for the perfect minimalist outfit.

And, yes, I shot a large Hassie system for a long time.

* ANY post WW2 Rolleiflex. A Minolta Autocord would be fine as well.

Last edited by df cardwell; 07-21-2008 at 12:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I normally go around with just one lens on my Hasselblad and right now it is the 60mm CFi lens.

I think the TLR is a great idea and makes everything very simple.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Judging by the number of TLR/Rollei threads on APUG and the amount of constant buyers on ebay I would say working with the TLR/Rollei is very popular and wide spread these days. Being able to follow your whim in photography is mostly an artist/amateur's luxury. I love the Rollei and pretty obviously have a cumpulsive obsessive sort of addiction to it but really it sometimes seems a bit of a curse and really I need to put it away and stick with the bigger camera. When I absolutely can't manage an 8x10 or 4x5 due to old age or whatever, then I will be guilt free in working with the Rollei.. unless of course I need to use a wide or long lens and there is the Pentax 67
    Dennis
    Last edited by dpurdy; 07-21-2008 at 12:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, these TLRs are just magic, but in my opinion they can´t replace a real system-camera. On the other hand most of my pictures are taken with the T-Model
    The SL is so more versatile and suited for nearly all purposes, but it hasn´t
    the spontaneous charakter of a TLR and is much more in weight.
    My personal conclusion is that both cameras never could replace each other,
    but if I had to choose only one camera for the rest of my life it would be an 3,5F

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have both (o.k. lots of both) but if I could just keep one it would be my Rolleicord.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very recently, in the last two weeks I have, however I'm not using the Rolleiflex - I've left that in the UK to use when there and I'm using my Yashicamat 124 instead here in Turkey.

For many years despite a large K mount 35mm outfit I preferred the simplicity of using an M3 and a 50mm Summicron, (I have no more Leica M lenses), so using a TLR with a fixed lens is quite similar, particularly as I have Mamiya 645 kit.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No way. Not for me. I had a beautiful old Rollei w/ 2.8 lens. It was good, but I always wanted the Mamiya C system instead. Well, I got my chance when my Rollei got ripped off from the car! I have a C33 now and I have not ever looked back. To me, it is far superior to the Rollei in every way.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gimme the serial no of that C33 its surely the one that was stolen from my studio in 83/4, please return it .

Great cameras very sturdy seemed better built than the C330. Well in the spirit of things it is a TLR.

Ian

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin