Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,877   Posts: 1,520,264   Online: 1144

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To quote myself: "I guess we all have different priorities." I respect your priorities; I was just stating mine. Weight has never been one of mine, and I have done quite a bit of traveling as well, though not six times a year usually. I usually bring a 35 and my Super 23 and three lenses. Have traveled a lot on weekend hikes this summer with 5x7 or 8x10 and a box of film loaded up and a 3051 tripod. Yes, I do wish for something lighter than a 3051 when hiking for several days...but lighter tripods are expensive...as is a Mamiya 7ii system compared to a Super 23 system. To save money, I can deal.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-23-2008 at 08:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Going back to the original question, you say you want better quality prints and you seem to assume that going medium format will automatically give you that. That is true but if your technique is good then 35mm will give good quality prints upto 20x16 but optimally upto 16x12. But it depends how you are printing them. If you are scanning for digital output then medium format is a must. But if you are printing direct to photographic paper then 35mm should give excellent quality upto 16x12 and good quality upto 20x16.
    So I wouldn't dismiss 35mm unless you really need medium format.
    For well under your budget you could have 2 contax aria bodies which each weigh only half the body weight of a Mamiya 7II, a Zeiss 35-70 3.4 vario and a zeiss 135 2.8 Sonnar. That lot would cost under £1000 and be an excellent travel setup providing two bodies ( one colour one B+W) and if one fails then you have a backup. Film availability wherever you are should be no problem and it will be far more compact and useable than a medium format system.
    OK so it wouldn't give the optimal quality for big prints but how big do you intend to print. If its just a hand full of images you want to print big, then you can get those drum scanned and print digitally via lightjet or similar. If most are going to be 8x10s or 16x12s then 35mm is all that is required and would be much simpler to travel with.
    Or a zeiss Ikon with a couple of lenses but that would push you way over budget although it would be supremely compact for travelling with.

Just my opinion but if you are set on medium format then ignore it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Greg,

The OP indicated the need for a two lens outfit. I think you could put one of those together with a used Mamiya 7 body and a couple of lenses.

Clearly the more extensive outfit I mentioned could not be had for $1500 GBP.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    Probably exceed the 1500 GBP? I think that is probably more like definitely exceed, at least at US prices. Unless prices have changed, the last time I watched prices on the 150 on ebay for used lenses they all went at near $1000 USD.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rob champagne View Post

But if you are printing direct to photographic paper then 35mm should give excellent quality upto 16x12 and good quality upto 20x16.
    So I wouldn't dismiss 35mm unless you really need medium format.
    For well under your budget you could have 2 contax aria bodies which each weigh only half the body weight of a Mamiya 7II, a Zeiss 35-70 3.4 vario and a zeiss 135 2.8 Sonnar.
    To my eye the difference in image quality between 35mm and MF in a print 16X20" in size is enormous, whether printed directly or scanned and printed digitally. At this size print I see a lot more difference between 35mm and MF than between MF and LF.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    To my eye the difference in image quality between 35mm and MF in a print 16X20" in size is enormous, whether printed directly or scanned and printed digitally. At this size print I see a lot more difference between 35mm and MF than between MF and LF.
    Sandy King
    I'm not disputing that medium format can give better better quality at 20x16 and I did say good as opposed to excellent but what I am suggesting is that upto 16x12 there is little difference and technique plays a big part. The OP didn't say how big he wants to print and I'm just making the point that if 16x12 or less is the size he wants to print, then a high quality 35mm setup using good technique should provide excellent results and be much easier and compact to use as a travel camera for a lot less money.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Mamiya 6 (modern series) seems to have fallen in price again, it is down in the pretty decent range now. A person could build up a 2 body and 3 or 4 lens kit for the 1500 GBP we are talking about.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Mamiya 6 would be a good choice.

However, all things being equal I would probably choose the Fuji GA645Zi with its variable focus lens (50-90mm) for about $800 used over a three lens Mamiya 6 outfit used that would cost about twice as much and only offer a bit more tele solution. In fact, you could probably buy two Fuji GA645Zi for the price of the Mamiya 6 outfit.

And just for the record, a Fuji GA645Zi is only slightly larger and heavier than a comparable 35mm SLR with comparable zoom lens. And if you use 220 film you can get 32 shots per roll. Blows the best 35mm out of the water in terms of print quality at 16X20".

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    The Mamiya 6 (modern series) seems to have fallen in price again, it is down in the pretty decent range now. A person could build up a 2 body and 3 or 4 lens kit for the 1500 GBP we are talking about.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I would like to ask the OP how many photos do you think you will take on your round the world trip and how many of those are destined for fine art quality 20x16 inch prints?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let's keep this in mind from the OP:

"As in parts of my travels i'll be in very secluded places and unlikely to be anywhere near a city or places that will be able to repair my camera, so really my most important factor is that it is reliable and built like a brick so that's it's unlikely to break however still has quality glass."
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For what it is worth-
    My first choice for remote travel, mf would be a rollei in good shape, but you give up interchangeable lenses.
    If you need interchangable lenses, and the mamiya 7 is too expensive, I would go with a 645slr.
    I have been shooting a pentax, with a 55 and 150 lens that makes a very nice travel kit. Really no bigger than a 35, with much improved image quality. The pentax is battery dependant, so if that is a concern, get a mamiya.
    As to the format- you will be told and read all sorts of stuff, lots of which is really nothing more than urban myth. The pentax was my first foray into 645. Prior to that I have shot everything from minox to 8x10, and my take is that contrary to what others may tell you, yes, you will see a big difference between it and 35. The old adage that bigger is better may not always be true- there are all sorts of factors that impact image quality, format being just one.
    When I got the pentax, I did a little test. I shot the same scene, with three cameras, the pentax 645, a pentax 67 and a 4x5 with 150mm ektar lens.
    I used the 55 on the 645, a 55 on the 67, acros in the mf, and trix in the 4x5. I shot the same scene, on a big zone VI tripod, using shutter speeds of 125th second or more. The tripod was moved to get the same framing in each.
    What i found was that with full frame 11x14 prints handed out to a bunch of friends, there was no difference that anyone could see. I cranked my d2 enlarger as high as it would go and made some more prints. Both the 67 and 645 were sharper than the 4X5. Again, very little if any difference could be seen between the mf images.
    My take is that there are all sorts of factors- film flatness, lens quality, film ability, vibration, that affect the ability to give a high quality image.
    A really good 645 is going to give better images than a mediocre 6X6,6X7, or 6X9, and maybe even bigger.
    What you want is a camera that will hold the film really flat, not shake much, have the best glass available,be light enough to carry around, and not die in the middle of nowhere.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin