Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,190   Online: 866

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Being a Rolleiphile I hate to say it but if I was traveling the whirl and had the money I would take a Mamiya 7... though I like to look at things close up and the Mamiya 7 needs that closeup attachment that looks kind of goofy.
    Dennis

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    WHAT!!?? what am I thinking? No I wouldn't I would take my Rollei. Geez. I must have been inhabited by an alien for a minute.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by rob champagne View Post
    I'm not disputing that medium format can give better better quality at 20x16 and I did say good as opposed to excellent but what I am suggesting is that upto 16x12 there is little difference and technique plays a big part. The OP didn't say how big he wants to print and I'm just making the point that if 16x12 or less is the size he wants to print, then a high quality 35mm setup using good technique should provide excellent results and be much easier and compact to use as a travel camera for a lot less money.
    What's with the giant prints? I limit print size from 35mm to 5x7", the difference in image quality compare to 8x10 prints is easy to see.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Actually, all of us left out a very important choice... If you want the most rugged of devices, then it is hard to beat a good solid box with a pinhole on the front. Few moving parts means it just will not break, no lenses to get whacked, etc....

Just one more choice for you. though it may not be the kind of image quality you are looking for

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This is one of those questions that has to be often re-visited.

Turns out that I will be going to China again this fall for about a month. So, what to take? Choices are, 1) Mamiya 7II outfit with one body plus 43mm, 65mm, 80mm and 150mm lens, 2) A couple of Fuji GA645Zi bodies, plus a Fuji GW690III.

The Mamiya 7II kit offers more possibilities and will allow larger prints, up to about 24X30. A couple of Fuji GA645Zi bodies plus the Fuji GW690III offers more portability, with more back-up in the two Zi bodies plus the GW690II.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For those quick and easy grab shots an Olympus Stylus Epic. Small clamshell camera that doesn't attract attention. Still available for under $100 US and still works well for a lot of stuff. An extra battery, some film and you are ready to shoot in most any location you are likely to hit.

A twin lens Rollei or Yashica with a Calculite X or XP light meter? Can get decent here for well under the budget.

An older Hasselblad 500 series or a Bronica 6x6 series. Very cheap. Work well and interchangeable lenses make them more versatile.

Or, in 35mm, a Contax G1 with two lenses. Very light, work well and good quality images from top glass on a small budget. Doesn't look big and flashy so not quite as likely to be stolen and small & light means easy to carry.

Or, one older cammed Linhof Technika, four holders & changing bag, meter & the guts to use it as designed. Big negs and great quality. Couple this with the Olympus or Contax G1 and you are in heaven with little compromise.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin