Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,623   Online: 1007

Shooter
    Medium Format

New Rollei Owner

Hey folks what a great site ya have here. I just purchased my first Rolleiflex and it should arrive next week. It's a Rolleiflex type 4 MX serial number 1491748 with the 3.5 Tessar which I believe puts it in the mid 50's range. Is there anything I should know about this model?
    I've been through many phases over the last 20 years with photography and after selling my photo business last year I've lost complete interest in digital and am thinking of selling the rest of my equipment off with the exception of a small canon digital point and shoot, and my trusty Yashica Mat 124, and now my Rolleiflex. The film bug has bitten again and I managed to scrape together the remains of what is left over from my last darkroom years ago in order to at least process my film. Eventually I will get back into printing but for now I guess a negative scanner is in order, however I just don't want to shell out the coin for a dedicated film scanner so I may resort to the epson v700.
    Anyway sorry for the long post and if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I´ve posted it already in another thread, but if this model has an compur-rapid shutter (which I highly assume it has),
    you should not set the 1/500sec if the shutter has already been cocked. Doing so can damage it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We have a TLR group why not come & join us.

Like you I have a Yashica 124 and a Rolleiflex,welcome to APUG

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello!
    I just bought a Rolleiflex T with Tessar they are great cameras capable of excellent results:
    http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/
    I use the Epson V500 to digitise my images, and I'm happy for web work and 12" prints.
    I think your camera is an 'Automat' if so be sure you but the film between the rollers when you load, a manual is here
    http://www.urmonas.net/manuals/rolle...i-mxevs-34.jpg
    Why not join the TLR users here (under groups) there are a few interesting discussions and some images.
    Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the tips.........see ya over in the TLR users group!!

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It sounds as though your camera is similar in many ways to mine -- I just got a pre-war Rolleiflex, I was told the third from the last Automat model II. I'm sending mine off to Mr. Hansen for a CLA, as it's been sitting in a garage for most of my lifetime. Have fun!

Mike

PS: Mark, thanks for the pointer to the manuals. I'm sure having one will be a great help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The serial number puts it as an MX-EVS type 1. If so, the attached pdf can add some info for you. I've had these and used a Sekonic L-398 meter in those days and actually became comfortable with the EV system. Stopped down a bit (f8-f16), these are capable of great images. I was just looking at a friend's wedding pictures in their album that I took 30 years back and it reminded me of the capabilities of these as they looked as good as things I'm doing currently with more serious gear.....
    Attached Files
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to the party. You're going to find lots of people here who will encourage you in every aspect of Rollei use and care.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks very much for the info. I'm excited about getting back into film. I haven't used my digital stuff since the last wedding I shot so it is currently up for sale. Sorry for mentioning the dreaded "D" word

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin