Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,771   Posts: 1,516,530   Online: 820

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a shame you weren't looking a couple of months ago, as there was a Mamiya 645 AF-D on TradeMe that went for under about NZ$900, with lens.

Of the 645 SLR cameras I've handled, I did not find they weighed significantly less than the Bronica SQ series. I'd be tempted to get the Bronica, and stick to a WLF. A small lightmeter would probably be better than a metered prism, and lighter. An 80mm, a wide and maybe a teleconverter and you'd be set. Oh, and a stack of flim!!

If you can convince yourself otherwise, and could go for a RF, the Fuji GA 645zi would be a nice option. Certainly meet the small and light qualifications, and it has a great lens (even if it is a bit slow at the longer end).

Enjoy the trip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chris,

if the weight is not an issue, then you might consider the Pentax 67 or Bronica GS1. They will both offer you 6x7 negatives in not that much heavier packages, though I would guess that shooting without a tripod would be less convenient.

You will find the weights of the Petax bodies and lenses here:
    HERE and HERE. With of course much more other info.

Bronica would allow you to heve more backs along - if you plan to use different films. You can find more about it HERE And the prices should be OK too.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by P C Headland View Post
    It's a shame you weren't looking a couple of months ago, as there was a Mamiya 645 AF-D on TradeMe that went for under about NZ$900, with lens.

Of the 645 SLR cameras I've handled, I did not find they weighed significantly less than the Bronica SQ series. I'd be tempted to get the Bronica, and stick to a WLF. A small lightmeter would probably be better than a metered prism, and lighter. An 80mm, a wide and maybe a teleconverter and you'd be set. Oh, and a stack of flim!!

If you can convince yourself otherwise, and could go for a RF, the Fuji GA 645zi would be a nice option. Certainly meet the small and light qualifications, and it has a great lens (even if it is a bit slow at the longer end).

Enjoy the trip.
    There's actually a Bronica SQAi on TradeMe at the moment (ends tomorrow) with 80mm lens, prisim and a wast level metered viewer for $1,000 with no reserve. This is what ead me to making this thread, but I almost think I've talked myself out of it now

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics...-167187936.htm

It's here in Wellington and really looks in good shape too.

You've made me start second guessing my Pentax 645 choice now!

I think I've pretty much ruled a rangefinder out now. I really want to be able to see through the taking lens, because this will probably end up coming along with me to some rugged places, and the flexibility an SLR gives with capturing them is a big drawcard.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I like the Mamiya 6 or 7 system. Unfortunately I think this system is out of the price range mentioned.

The optics of the Mamiya 7II is fabulous.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Even the Mamiya 6 is out of the price range for the body and a couple of lenses. The 7 and 7II are way out of the price range, one lens would wipe out the budget.

Mamiya 645 Super or Pro with metered prism, 2CR powered winder (maybe), and waist level finder might fit the bill. They are a little big, but not too heavy if you keep your lenses to a minimum. Pick up a small light meter to complete the set. If money permits pick up extra film backs. Leave the prism at camp if you know you will not be taking portraits and use the waist level, it gets pretty light like this. One thing though, the Russain fish-eye lenses are HEAVY, they work OK but are on the heavy side. I'm not sure what the Mamiya 24mm weighs, but you can't afford it with that budget anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Do you know what their zoom lens quality is like? I'm guessing it's got to be pretty decent considering that it is a MF kit afterall.
    Check the weight and the filter sizes. Memory tells me it's not exactly tiny. The big advantage of the Pentax is it's a single complete package. Builtin meter and winder. Downside is it's a single complete package It's also highly battery dependent. So plan on carrying spares. If you need daylight fill flash that 1/60 sync might be a problem.

With the system cameras a bad shutter at worst costs you a lens. If you bring a crank you can always hand wind them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just a suggestion but a Bronica ETRs with the 45-90 would allow a lot of flexability. Add the 150 & youre set. The only drawback is the size of the lens. 45mm is pretty wide (about equavilent to about 28mm in 35mm terms). The other consideration is that it is battery dependent.

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=6629650

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jime11 View Post
    Just a suggestion but a Bronica ETRs with the 45-90 would allow a lot of flexability. Add the 150 & youre set. The only drawback is the size of the lens. 45mm is pretty wide (about equavilent to about 28mm in 35mm terms). The other consideration is that it is battery dependent.

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=6629650
    I've come to the conclusion that battery dependency doesn't bother me, so long as the batteries aren't totally obscure and don't weigh a ton.

I hadn't really thought of Bronica to be honest, but I do like what I'm seeing, especially with that 45-90 lens. Are they both yours? If so is there any chance you could post a photo with it next to a CD, or you just holding it or something? Knowing it takes 90mm filters makes me wonder just how massive the lens really is and how heavy it is. But it's focal range is almost perfect for me, as almost all my landscapes are taken from normal to wide.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Based on what you have said about weight etc., one suggestion is to abandon the MF idea altogether and take a robust Nikon, like the fm3a or one of its predecessors, and shoot slide and/or some of the new 35mm b&w superfilms. If you meditate on total system weight and overall reliability and film bulk, then you might find this decision quite logical.

Another thing is that if you have a companion using 35mm then you might collaborate on lenses. There's nothing wrong with 35mm; for this kind of thing it can be very powerful. If faster lenses mean you won't need a big tripod or MLU or whatever, and light weight means you'll be able to explore interesting perspectives, then hey, take a 35mm kit, be happy, enjoy the scenery, and take a bunch of slides.

You might also consider an xpan (what is the fuji equivalent? I forget the name) or contax g2.

Frankly, I think I wouldn't launch into MF while restricting myself to that budget, just because of this one trip. I mean, if it were me, I'd pack two mamiya 6es and the three lenses, or one mamiya 6 and an fm3a. But unfortunately that's not going to come in anywhere near your budget.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I dont have another photo now - but - will post one in about 24hrs. The other lens is a Schnieder 125-250. Here is a link to the Tamron site for this lens.

http://www.tamron.com/bronica/prod/etr4590.asp

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin