Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,636   Online: 770

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

how often do you CLA your Hasselblad gear?

I've been shooting Hasselblad for a couple of years now and haven't noticed any degeneration in the lenses, but the odd time my backs will double expose or overlap a couple of frames (it's getting more frequent). My question on preventative maintenance is: is there a rule of thumb on how often a lens should be CLA'd?
    maybe a second question is: does my film backs need to be overhauled or is it a problem with my camera body (with the overlapping film)?

I know that there are a lot of different variables to this (storing with the shutter uncocked, frequency of usage, etc. but maybe someone could elaborate their variables and how often they keep them maintained. Personally I use my gear weekly (3 a12 backs, 40mm, 50mm, 80mm and 150mm for lenses along with a 500cm body) and haven't done anything for 2 years (and the previous owner for 2 years before that), but have no issues besides the film advancing. Is this normal or should I be sending them in soon?

Anyone care to comment or answer the above questions?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've only ever done my backs every 18 months.

Nothing else has ever needed service.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never owned Hasselblad gear either, but my understanding from other threads is that exercising (using) the lenses regularly is the best thing you can do for their long and useful life. Overlapping frames in a film back are another matter, and this is one of the things that would really crack me up. I'd count that as a definite fault and get it repaired. It might also be worthwhile thinking of putting some money aside monthly for repairs and servicing in the future, since that bill is bound to come when you can least afford it!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Indeed.
    I too have Hasselblad cameras that are getting on in age quite a bit now, and that have never been serviced, and they still work great. All in alignment still. Working very smoothly. No problem.
    But it not only depends on minimum use, but also on maximum use: use them rather a lot, and they will need servicing now and again. How often depends on how much they are used.

Backs are another matter. They are the weakest part, both because the dark slide slot seal - a foam thingy - deteriorates all by itself and needs changing every two years, at least, and because they just happen to be the bit that gets out of order soonest.
    The spacing problem mentioned is a typical thing to see happening. It however does not need a repair as such; nothing is broken. Just a CLA will do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    CLAing a back seems almost pointless to me though 'cause it costs $100 in labour and you can get a perfectly fine back on ebay for less than that. I know lenses are in the NO-GO area of CLAing on your own, but is it possible if you have the repair manual (which I have) for the backs, to take it apart and clean some of the gears yourself?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, you could.
    Depends on how 'dextrous' you are too, of course.
    And on how good the manual is (just an exploded view parts list, or a thing giving info about what points need adjusting, and how to adjust them?).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check the serial numbers on the backs and inserts. Do they match? I had a similar problem and found I had accidently mixed up a couple. The last three numbers of the serial no. on the back should be the same as the number on the insert.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have this issue with 3 of my backs and I checked out one and it has the same numbers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Matching serial numbers have no bearing on this.

In the factory, the rollers above and below the film gate are 'adjusted' to the insert, ensuring best film flatness.
    It's a fine fine-tuning thingy, matching tolerances so they cancel rather than reinforce each other. Sets matched like this are marked using the serial number of the shell.
    Unless you are very, very unlucky you will not notice anything when using mismatched backs.
    It will not lead to spacing issues, or any other issue involving the winding mechanism.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin