Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,725   Online: 751

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wide-angle 55mm Rolleiflex

I have a chance to purchase a wide-angle 55mm Zeiss Distagon f/4.0 Rollei with case and lens cap in very good condition. I can get it for a very good deal. I plan on reselling it, since I am a fan of my Mamiya TLR, so don't need it. I have seen them go for $3,000 - $4,000 on eBay. Before I buy the thing, I want to know if there is some possibility that it could be a less desirable model of some sort that will not fetch as much. I am not a Rollei aficionado, and don't know a whole lot about the history and models. What do I need to look for to make sure this is going to sell for that much? I do have a couple of pix that I was able to take in the available light at high ISO. They do show the general condition and serial number, however.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-28-2008 at 10:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think to go for that money it needs to be in very good condition. I am not sure exactly what a new one goes for but it is probably around 5000. Some of the old ones had meters and some of them had flat optical glass backs. The optical glass back is only useful if you have the optical glass. I have seen a lot of the Rollei wides listed on ebay but I am not sure how long it might take you to find a buyer at 3-4000 unless it is really good condition.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I have a chance to purchase a wide-angle 55mm Zeiss Distagon f/4.0 Rollei with case and lens cap in very good condition. I can get it for a very good deal. I plan on reselling it, since I am a fan of my Mamiya TLR, so don't need it. I have seen them go for $3,000 - $4,000 on eBay. Before I buy the thing, I want to know if there is some possibility that it could be a less desirable model of some sort that will not fetch as much. I am not a Rollei aficionado, and don't know a whole lot about the history and models. What do I need to look for to make sure this is going to sell for that much? I do have a couple of pix that I was able to take in the available light at high ISO. They do show the general condition and serial number, however.

Thank you in advance.
    According to my copy of the "Collectors' Guide to Rollei Cameras", the wide-angle Rollei was made from 1961 to 1967 in the serial number range 2 490 000 to 2 493 999. The camera was substantially the same throughout production, with 55 mm f4 Zeiss Distagon in Synchro-Compur MXV shutter, bayonet IV accessories. The only variation seems to have been that early cameras could not be fitted with a piece of optical flat glass at the focal plane, while later ones (no details of serial numbers) could. I have used many Rolleis but have never even thought about fitting this glass - so far as I am concerned, all wide-angle Rolleis would be equally attractive to collectors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info. Very interesting. The camera is sweet as can be. They are asking $850, and it is legit; not hot. They just don't know what they have. They routinely haggle down to 1/3 asking price as well.

Here is one of the shots I got:

I don't want to resell it, but, like I said, I have no real use for it.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I don't know where you live but I would definitely snap that up after a bit of haggle down. It looks like a beauty. If I knew where it was and I was anywhere near, you wouldn't have time to be making this decision cause I would already have it. I think before you sell it you should take it out for a few rolls of film. You might fall in love with it and sell everything else.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm jealous! Never will find it in my heart to sell this beauty!
    A fool with mission!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's a beauty of a camera. Add me to the list of people that would love to use one!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I publish the Rollei TLR Price & Info Guide here and track ebay prices constantly:

http://members.aol.com/dcolucci/rolleitlr.htm

I have seen some Type I Wide Rolleiflex sell for as little as $ 1800, but most - in decent shape - sell in the low $ 2K's on ebay. Minty would get close to $ 3K. They no longer sell for an easy $ 3K and 4K they used to 10 years ago....

PS -
    Antique and Classic Camera BLOG
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    At $850 I would have grabbed it the first day. You should be able to make an easy $250 on this camera, but possibly more. You should not have waited, might be gone by the time you get back.

Buy it, send a roll though it to see if all the speeds work properly, put it on ebay with a $1000-$1200 reserve and see what happens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "You should not have waited, might be gone by the time you get back."

Well, I usually don't walk around with $850 in my pocket...jeez.
    2F/2F

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin