Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,945   Online: 787

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rollei SL66 - mirror problem

I was so excited to recieve my sl66 today...until!

My mirror is stuck in the up position (was testing the mirror lock-up button) and I can't get it down. The shutter button will depress all the way, but the shutter won't fire. The crank will not move in either direction, even with the little button pressed. I have the same problems with the back on or off. Previous to this mirror lock up the crank was working fine and I was able to load my back with no problem that I noticed.

I have tried pushing gently on the mirror, as I've seen recommended, but no luck. Every thread I've found with a similar problem seems to end up in sending it away, and the prospect of 4 months wait for Oceanside Camera really is a buzz kill for my new toy.

Any ideas? I'm crossing my fingers, and thank everyone in advance for anything they can offer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    The wait for Oceanside Camera is certainly long but probably your best bet. I would not trust my SL66 to anyone else. Certainly you should not force anything in an attempt to get it working. This is a one man operation and he is swamped with work because ofhis expertise.
    Last ditch effort - put the back on, take out the dark slide and see if the shutter will trip or the crank operate. If not, send it to Oceanside.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Jim.

Yep, have tried everything I can think of with the back on and off. Nothing's happening.

Has anyone had experience with KOH's camera? I saw one recommendation, but maybe I'm just being hopeful since I'd love not to have to wait too long....

Images

SL66

When I purchased an SL66 it arrived with the mirror up, and the whole camera frozen, including the back. I shipped my camera to Jürgen Kuschnik in Germany of http://www.jurgenkuschnik.com. He repaired my camera to perfect function, and I had my camera back within about three weeks including shipping time. He is very familiar with this camera, and has a good supply of parts. He is fantastic about keeping you advised about what is going on with your camera.

E-mail him, of course, to discuss your situation and before mailing your camera.

If you can arrange to pay in advance, it will probably speed up the return of your camera to you.

When the camera is operating properly, it is imperative to wind the crank to advance the film and then block the crank in the reverse direction before doing just about anything, including removing or attaching the back, lens, pressing the shutter button, etc. Also, with the back removed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    in the spirit of sheer desperation ,

have you tried winding with the silver " wind shutter without advancing film " lever? it's in the crank, under the crankarm ( if the crankarm was in the closed position ) ... you push it and whilst holding it down, you advance the crank - this will wind the shutter without advancing film. try without the back first. also, ensure that the back's gear is wound fully in the direction of the finger pointing.

as per usual, don't force anything.

oh yeah, there's a guy on ebay offering affordable overhauls for hasselblds. i emailed him and he is also experienced with sl66's
    i haven't had any work done by him but he knew the in's and out's of the beast. his name is Steve and email is info@camera-care.com
    i hope he can help!!

i feel your pain.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the sympathy, really.

Tried all those things, no success, unfortunately. I'm beginning to come to terms with spending more money and time immediately after spending money to buy it! So unless there is some SL66 angel out there with a trick, repair advice is appreciated. Thanks for the tips above.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So unless there is some SL66 angel out there with a trick, repair advice is appreciated.

Hi Beccas,

your SL66 must be one the first, the serial number is something like 290..., I´m sure, isn´t it? Within the first few thousand exemplars built this is a common problem. Later the mirror mechanism was redesigned, so with the later exemplars this failure shouldn´t happen anymore. I agree that an overhaul with the new service part would be the best option, but if you like to experiment a little, simply slap with your fist (the side where thumb and index finger are, not the knuckles!) on the bottom of the camera (hold it in normal position while doing so, not upside down). In most cases this works. The bottom of the camera is made from 1/2 inch thick steel plate, so you wouldn´t bend anything
    Of course this won´t cure it forever...
    By the way, as already mentioned, don´t use too much force, the SL is an high precision instrument nonetheless, as are all cameras.

Greetz, Benjamin.
    Last edited by Slixtiesix; 08-03-2008 at 09:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just following up a bit late, but for anyone with this same problem....

Turns out it was a broken spring which needed replacing. I needed the camera for a trip, so despite Jurgen being completely receptive and lovely I just couldn't spare the time sending to and from Germany. Did find out that a lot of people say they don't work on SL66's anymore (even though they used to) because they don't get parts for them anymore. So if you're in a pickle and need someone to open up and take a look, it's worth the ask. Jim at VT Camera in Vermont fixed it for me on someone's recommendation.

Images
    Great news about your repaired SL66. Also good to hear about Jim at VT.

The SL66 is a special camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Another source of Rollei SL66 service would be Kindermann in Toronto. They fixed my SL66E last year and did a fine job. Took about a month.

I've been using my SL66 for close to 20 years and this was its first trip to the shop. Can't complain.

Morry Katz
    Lethbridge, Alberta

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin