Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,165   Online: 1021

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ian can you go to a reputable UK dealer right now and buy a 295series 2.8F with a Planar lens?

I am not making any guarantees and it is just from my watching ebay for years but from what I have seen there are very few 295series Fs with a Planar and the buyers seem to notice.

I started watching ebay constantly with a variety of search keys after I bought my own 295series with a Xenotar and I loved it so much that I started thinking of getting another so I started watching them from December 2004 on. In that time I have watched 112 295series Rolleis go through and only 8 of them had a Planar. One of those came on ebay 3 times and was first a Xenotar in rough condition, then a Planar in near pristine condition and then a Planar in bad condition with a scratched lens. Those 3 listings all had the same serial number and I verified the condition as best I could with the pictures. That same seller listed another of the 295series Planars again in bad condition. So that leaves only 6.

One of the remaining 6 on ebay as I write has a Planar with a lens serial number that is out of whack. That leaves only 5. Of those 5, two were in mint condition. One sold for 2750.00 and the other sold for 2500.00. The other three were in used marked up condition. One sold for 2000.00 and the others sold for over a thousand.

Those are just my observations that I kept track of and kept records of and I won't take it personally if you doubt me. It is just internet conversation. But my opinion is that it is possible to get a lot of money for this camera if that ad is written well and the pictures are good and the camera is in good, near mint condition. The proof will be in the pudding but don't put a buy it now button for some low price.. in fact I wouldn't put a buyitnow button on it at all. Just a high reserve.

Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Does anyone have any ideas on cleaning up spome of the spots that show finish wear on the mteal parts? Would filling in some pots with the appropriate colored black paint be unethical?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can't really get a good match with current paints. What they used back then is now considered far too hazardous to allow us to use. You would probably be better off leaving them alone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    MINTY 295 Rollei's can break $ 2K if MINTY. A used one, in exc condition wont break $ 1800.

Take a look at this LIKE NEW 295 beauty that sold for $ 1889 USD

http://cgi.ebay.com/MINT-Rolleiflex-...QQcmdZViewItem

Planar 295's are far less common than 295 Xenotars.

Dont touch up spots...leave 'em.....painting them looks like your trying to hide problems....plus it wont match.

Dan
    Last edited by luvcameras; 08-04-2008 at 04:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Antique and Classic Camera BLOG
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Comparing like with like. When talking values of some models of cameras then the description of its condition is very critical. In the UK a few dealers use the following:

MINT Totally like new
    MINT- Almost like new, only very small signs of use
    EXC++ Signs of light and careful use
    EXC+ Signs of Use,
    EXC Signs of moderate use but no bad dents or deep scratches (Obvious Signs of Use)
    VG Heavily used but still working

A camera with paint chips and finish wear is only going to be in the Exc category, in fact one category less than the 2.8F (Planar) I mentioned earlier. That doesn't mean it's not a great camera just that its value to collectors isn't as high.

For example a Rolleiflex 3.5F Type 3 Planar drops in value by 25% between Exc++ and Exc+ and the drop between Mint and Exc is going to be quite substantial.

Yes Dennis is right Mint 2.8F's with Planars can fetch around £1300/$2,600, but the value and prices drops steeply as the condition indicates more wear/useage.

Ian

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Tim,

Taking a different approach, having just met you, spent an afternoon looking at your work and learning of your dreams, I am so sorry to hear that you are considering selling this beautiful camera. You have a good job and of course the Fall college term is coming with it’s associated costs. A good tool in a field that is so important to you is a sad thing to lose. Being more than three times your age, I can only ask if there is some way you can change things around to keep this wonderful find? It might be several years before you graduate, find work and can afford another.

This of course is a rhetorical question. One to think about. Certainly not one you have to answer to 27,648 members.

John Powers
    Last edited by jp80874; 08-04-2008 at 07:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, Mr. Powers. This is definitely a last resort decision. By getting rid of this camera, I am in essence quitting film until I am able to afford the time and money involved, and that is certainly not something I am excited to do. I by know means intend to give up on photography, but hard times call for desperate measures. At the moment, I am unable to afford the luxury that is film and wet darkroom practices.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ts103706@ohio.edu View Post
    Thanks, Mr. Powers. This is definitely a last resort decision. By getting rid of this camera, I am in essence quitting film until I am able to afford the time and money involved, and that is certainly not something I am excited to do. I by know means intend to give up on photography, but hard times call for desperate measures. At the moment, I am unable to afford the luxury that is film and wet darkroom practices.
    I am sorry to read that.

By the way, there are no Misters here. The first time is forgiven. The second time I hit you with a tripod if I can pick it up fast enough.

I can only encourage you not to give up hope and remember that it is never too late. I waited until my retirement to take up photography seriously, but I wish I had started earlier when I had the call in college at your age.

John

Shooter
    35mm
    ebay is no doubt a good place to sell this camera but if you're out to buy one then you can probably get a lower price and a guarantee from a reputable dealer. It seems to me that on ebay people bidding for high value items get carried away in the bidding frenzy and often pay well over the odds for the item. The same thing happens on a police auction site in the UK where cameras are often sold. Frequently they go for ridiculous prices, often higher than what you'd pay on ebay, let alone what you'd pay at a dealers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The nice thing about ebay is that it IS an auction. With good pictures and an accurate description of the camera's functions (shutter speeds, focus action, aperture clicks, etc.) the camera should go for what it is worth. It sounds like you are surprised at the price being quite high so just put a reserve on it, less than some of these estimates but enough that you'd be happy, and let it get some bids. Good luck, Bob.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin