Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,407   Online: 931

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just an update, the highest bid so far is $1,700.00 with a little less than a day to go.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Congratulations. I have been watching it and it will definitely go up at the last second. It isn't in mint condition and in fact I see has a little hole drilled in it so I think the money you are getting is quite good. At least in my opinion it is. It is a nice camera.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, I am pleasantly surprised. I am a little worried about the highest bidder. He has already been trying to get me to lie on the customs forms if he wins.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I guess he better not bid any higher then. If you felt like it you could remove his bid. And at the amount you are eventually talking about, I think I would wait until the payment clears before shipping it, especially shipments outside of North America.

Of course sending it as a gift is bad, but it looks even worse when you insure it for $3000.00.

I see the current high bidder has 4 bid retractions in the last 4 months, don't be surprised if he retracts his bid and fouls everything up when he realizes how much the import tariffs are going to cost. Hopefully there will be another bidder that wants it more than he does and you won't have a problem.
    Last edited by Greg_E; 08-19-2008 at 08:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Bid retractions can be a pretty nasty technique as I understand it. I did retract a bid once when I discovered the item was not what I thought. But if someone is making a habit or multiple retractions, ebay should look into it and give them a warning or ban them. Because it can cause people to bid on a different item instead and then cost the seller. At least as I understand it.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is worse than that, you can change the final sale price by retracting a bid, and depending on the specific circumstances it could be a huge amount of difference. This is a technique that people used to use, hopefully ebay fixed that issue.

If it was me I would have cancelled his bid as soon as he asked to falsify the documents to avoid the tariff.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am speaking from ignorance here but I used to sell prints on ebay and people in Europe would ask me to mark them as gifts. I asked at the post office what is my risk and they said the risk is with the other end. So I went ahead and marked every print a gift regardless if they asked me to or not. I don't know that it is ok for sure though.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    He ended up deciding he didn't want the camera. He has been lying to me and telling me that paypal would not work for him, but now told me he was not going to buy it. I am looking at hw to get my $50.00 in fees back.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You should complain quite loudly to eBay and have that user banned. He's wasted your time, other people's time and cost you money.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    I am speaking from ignorance here but I used to sell prints on ebay and people in Europe would ask me to mark them as gifts. I asked at the post office what is my risk and they said the risk is with the other end. So I went ahead and marked every print a gift regardless if they asked me to or not. I don't know that it is ok for sure though.
    Dennis
    Well I cant argue with the Post Office, but I would think that would be illegal since you are completing an "official government form" with false information if you mark it as a gift and it is truly not a gift.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin