Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,959   Online: 1226

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnJazz View Post
    ...As for lenses...All I'm really looking for is a fast (how fast do MF lenses usually go?) wide lens, that is, a lens equivalent to a 35mm f/2 for 35mm. Or wider.
    The lens on my Fuji GSW690 III is an f5.6 wide angle 65mm EBC Fujinon Lens (equivalent to a 28mm focal length WA lens on a 35mm camera). Mine is razor sharp I paid about $1200 used for this camera (in Excellent Cond).

My 43mm f4.5 Mamiya Lens for my Mamiya 7ii is wider angle and faster than my 65mm Fuji and it is equally sharp. It is also quite expensive (Used Price is $1500 to $1600).
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you looked into Pentacon Sixes or Pentax 67s?

I would suggest others if not for your criterion of a built-in meter.

Since you will likely need to put it on a tripod for best sharpness anyhow, a built-in meter is not even much of a convenience, if it can be called a convenience at all.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes a Pentacon Six with a Kiev TTL metering Prism and a Multi-Coated 50mm Carl Z Zeiss Jena lens would do it. The 55mm ARSAT (UKRAINE) is also a good WA lens.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    35mm
    I would forego a meter if it means a cheaper camera that I can walk around with and use.

And I should mention, I don't really want a TLR. :\

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    get a Hasselblad 500cm with 80mm lens for $650 and a Sekonic L358 light meter for $175

then when you have more money, buy another lens.

If you can't swing that, buy a holga. no meter necessary

So what is your budget?
    Last edited by david b; 08-02-2008 at 06:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would forego a meter if it means a cheaper camera that I can walk around with and use.
    Ensign Selfix
    Zeiss Nettar
    Agfa Isolette / Ansco Speedex
    Zeiss Ikonta
    Kodak Monitor (620 film)

If you don't mind getting a good free-weight gym workout and/or carrying a lethal offensive weapon at the same time:

Mamiya Press & Universal
    Koni-Omega Press
    Graflex XL
    Linhoff 220
    Century Graphic
    Kodak Medalist (620 film - what _was_ Kodak thinking? Why weren't they thinking?)
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "I would forego (sic.) a meter if it means a cheaper camera that I can walk around with and use."

Now that you have eliminated the largest obstacle, you can get any 6x6 or larger single-lens camera that you can afford. I would start by looking at Pentacon Sixes or Hasselblads.

There are also the Mamiya Press line of cameras, and 2x3 Graphics with roll-film backs; both rangefinders with leaf shutters. (If you get a Speed, you also have the option of an FP shutter.)

Also, look around at some of the nicer-quality folders that take 120.

The real factor that will give you hand holding ability is the leaf shutter vs. an FP shutter. This being said, and being on a budget, I might reconsider the idea of a TLR, and outfit it with a prism. It is the only leaf shutter camera I have mentioned that is a viewfinder rather than a rangefinder. The prism would make it less TLR like. They are ultra cheap, smaller, lighter, and more hand holdable than any of the SLR options.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-02-2008 at 06:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

And I should mention, I don't really want a TLR. :\
    Then, don't overlook the 2.25"X3.25" Coupled Rangefinder Crown, Century and Speed Graphics, with the Graflock Backs. Personally, I prefer the Crown Graphic.

The Graflock Back will accept a number of different rollfilm backs. I mostly use Mamiya 6cm x 7cm backs on mine.

I often mount a 65mm Schneider Super Angulon Lens on this rig and I also have an 80mm Schneider Xenotar for it, and several other lenses.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was not sure I would like the feel of a Hassy and figured I would "invest" in something cheaper to get the sense of how they handle. I still do not have a Hassy. However, I have a "Hasselbladski" Kiev 88 with the metering prism which set me back 350 bucks some years ago. What an amazing bang for the buck. The Arsat, as stated, is quite sharp; the 250 is very, very good. I know there are quality control issues; but aside from the cla of the blades on the Arsat, it has been trouble free for me. I do not use it much any more since my conversion to 5x7, but I do not regret having bought it.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin