Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,707   Online: 1234

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Hand-Holdable 6x6 - 6x9 with meter? (AKA, what should I get?)

I am considering getting into MF, so I want to see how much an outfit for me would cost. I'm looking for a camera that is at least 6x6, but the wider the better. It needs a built-in meter (the only meter I have is my Nikon F100, lol). TTL is preferred, but not required. I don't care if the rest of it is manual, I just want to be able to compose, focus, and get the right exposure through the viewfinder. I don't care if it has a waist level viewfinder or not. I need to be able to hand hold and walk around with it. I do have a tripod that I will use, too.

As for lenses...All I'm really looking for is a fast (how fast do MF lenses usually go?) wide lens, that is, a lens equivalent to a 35mm f/2 for 35mm. Or wider.

I've never used a rangefinder, so I have no idea if I would be as adept with them as I am with SLR's.

I really just want to know how much money I should save up, what my options are, etc.

I want to again thank the APUG community, everyone is extremely helpful and nice. Really, you guys are awesome. If APUG wasn't here, I would have simply boxed away my Pentax K1000 and not continued with photography again, and I would definitely not want to be a war photographer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mamiya 7 is metered (not ttl) and is very handholsable. I don't know if the fuji RF's are metered, but they run the gamut 6x54 up through 6x17 and most everything between. The fuji's are out of production, but available.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Mamiya 7 is a bit too rich for my blood. Plus, its wide lens is very expensive and requires its own viewfinder. the Mamiya 6 and 50mm lens seem to fit me better, but they're still pretty expensive. I suppose they're something to aspire to get.

Any other ideas?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    An old Rolleiflex 3.5-something?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    35mm
    Aren't Rolleiflexes extremely expensive?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The 50mm lens for the Mamiya 7 comes with the external view finder but it is not necessary to use.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    wait to see what the new Fuji range finder is going to be.

supposedly, it will be 6x7 with ttl and folds small. It's said to be available by December.

see THIS and THIS

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnJazz View Post
    Aren't Rolleiflexes extremely expensive?
    New, 2.8FX, yes.
    Older, 3.5 ones, no.
    For example:
    http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ...&KW=rolleiflex
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search...3.5&category0=
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hand Held 6x7 and 6x9

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnJazz View Post
    I am considering getting into MF, so I want to see how much an outfit for me would cost. I'm looking for a camera that is at least 6x6, but the wider the better. It needs a built-in meter (the only meter I have is my Nikon F100, lol). TTL is preferred, but not required. I don't care if the rest of it is manual, I just want to be able to compose, focus, and get the right exposure through the viewfinder. I don't care if it has a waist level viewfinder or not. I need to be able to hand hold and walk around with it. I do have a tripod that I will use, too.

As for lenses...All I'm really looking for is a fast (how fast do MF lenses usually go?) wide lens, that is, a lens equivalent to a 35mm f/2 for 35mm. Or wider.

I've never used a rangefinder, so I have no idea if I would be as adept with them as I am with SLR's.

I really just want to know how much money I should save up, what my options are, etc.

I want to again thank the APUG community, everyone is extremely helpful and nice. Really, you guys are awesome. If APUG wasn't here, I would have simply boxed away my Pentax K1000 and not continued with photography again, and I would definitely not want to be a war photographer.
    I use hand held 6x7 and 6x9 Fuji Rangefinder cameras with no built-in meter.

For light metering I clip a Voigtlander VC Meter II into the camera's accessory shoe:

Voigtlander VC Meter II
    Meter angle approximately 30 degrees
    Silicon Metering Cell
    LED meter read out, center round greed LED, red LEDs on both sides
    ISO 25 to 3200 with 1/3 stop increments on the film speed dial
    The ISO film speeds are now larger, and marked at 1/3 stops.
    EV 1 to EV 20