Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,611   Online: 933

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MXP

Shooter
    35mm RF

Velvia 100F in Voigtländer Rollfilm from 1925

I got the funny idea to try out a Fuji Velvia 100F in a camera from 1925. It was a Voigtländer Rollfilm 6x9 camera from 1925 with an uncoated 4.5/10,5 cm uncoated Skopar lens and a camera with no film presure plate. It did not expect something special but got quite surprised of the optical quality of the lens. It seems to be well corrected and I did no see any CA.
    Two of the frames are here along with some crops. I used a good scanner.
    Both images was shot hand held.

http://www.pbase.com/mxp/voigtlnder_rollfilm_1925

Max

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did a job for a fashion mag, the art director wanted some sort of fuzzy not quite good color for a photo spread that was to be sort of sur-realistic, used an old Ansco folding camera with Kodacolor, this was before Photoshop. Shots were just too good, I was really surpised at how sharp and accurate the color was. I had to use a 127 Bell and Howell with a plasitic lens and out of date GAF film to get the look they were after. Many of these older cameras had really good optics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excellent pictures Max. I'm not convinced that photography has advanced very much in 'real' terms since. The superb Velvia film helps of course. How about trying it with a tripod and cable release to prove just how good these old cameras and lenses really are!
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

MXP

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I had expected more "retro" colors and also some red/blue CA in the high light contrast. Even on metallic reflections where the film is blown out I see no CA. I did see this on my 50/4 CFI for my Hasselblad (now sold). But of course a 50mm is a WA and much more complicated to correct.
    Yes, it could be very interesting to take some tripod shots to see what the lens really can do.........

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Interesting results. I read somewhere that 90%+ of the cost of old cameras was in the lens and that as the bodies became more complicated the reverse became true. That Voigtländer (I copied your spelling since I have no "ä"-nice! ) had been making optics since the mid 18th century gave them a good headstart when these new fangled camera things came out. Too bad there isn't any 25 or even 12 asa color film so you could shoot these images wide open and see what that looks like. The closest we B&W luddites get to replicating that experience is the fine efke 25 film shot at 12. Lots of fun in an old Rolleiflex or a Leica II
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Max,

saturated film is a very good option for old cameras with (uncoated) lenses alike.
    I personally use a 6x9 Ercona II folder from the 1950s with very good results on Fuji Provia.

Those 'old' cameras are not to be underestimated

G

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    MXP,

What does `CA´ stand for?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    MXP,

Chromatic aberration?

Matt

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Skopar is a Tessar-type lens, so I wouldn't expect anything but good sharp results. With six air/glass surfaces the flare isn't too bad either.

Chromatic aberration was largely eliminated by the introduction of the achromatic doublet way back before the dawn of photography. There have been later (less successful) lens designs showing significant CA, but it's really only "pixel peepers" who worry about this.

Before colour film, too much CA would give a "smeared" look with panchromatic film - and before that, it would give apparent chromatic focus shift with blue-sensitive films.

So you can safely assume that any lens with more than one simple meniscus element will show negligible CA.

As for "muted colours" - I have a cracked Eurynar (dialyte) that could give that, because of excessive flare. But there's nothing in the lens that mutes colours!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

MXP

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    MXP,

Yes, Chromatic Aberration......often seen in highlight edges.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin