Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,600   Online: 645

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Danny, I will shoot in dark Israeli desert called Negev. I think a 20-30 seconds exposures will be Ok.

I sold all my telescopes. I'm familiar with equatorial mount, I know that EQ must be aligned to the North in order to track stars without small hand corrections. A GPS know about North, a full automatic GPS device has the advantage over EQ in my opinion.

BTW, Contax 645 doesn't drain batteries in the Bulb mode similar to mechanical cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.A View Post

This was shot on Velvia 100 with Pentax 645 IIn with 45-85 mm lens. The exposure was 1 hour at f4.5 (wide open). The foreground lighting came from the house.

Again shot on the Pentax with the same lens. Film stock was Ilford Delta 100 , exposure was 45 minutes wide open. Film developed in D76, printed on Ilford FB warm tone and selenium toned.

Experiment. This not an exact science and requires a lot of experimentation to get what appeals to your aesthetic. Both the above shots were experimental and I hoping in the next day or so to get out and do some more learning from my past experience.
    Compliments on the second image, I think its great!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    In one of the past LensWork issues (I think #53 or around that) has an interview and presentations of work of Neil Folberg. His work called Celestial Nights is done with 2 exposures, one for the sky with a telescope and tracking, the other for the ground.
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Evgeny View Post
    Danny, I will shoot in dark Israeli desert called Negev. I think a 20-30 seconds exposures will be Ok.
    My experience is that you will get noticeable star trails if you expose for longer than that. Of course this may or may not be a problem.

With a full moon and film around 200-400 ASA, the same exposure may be adequate for a nicely illuminated landscape. So as a first cut, I would try a fast film under a full moon with exposure from 15-30 seconds, wide open; look at the results and adjust according to what you see.

I sold all my telescopes. I'm familiar with equatorial mount, I know that EQ must be aligned to the North in order to track stars without small hand corrections. A GPS know about North, a full automatic GPS device has the advantage over EQ in my opinion.
    This is a religious argument for visual observers, but for photography, GPS doesn't solve the problem by itself---you still need an equatorial mount aligned to north to track the movement of the sky without causing apparent rotation of the visual field.

-NT

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by poutnik View Post
    In one of the past LensWork issues (I think #53 or around that) has an interview and presentations of work of Neil Folberg. His work called Celestial Nights is done with 2 exposures, one for the sky with a telescope and tracking, the other for the ground.
    Jiri, does Neil double expose the same frame or merge two different images?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    My experience is that you will get noticeable star trails if you expose for longer than that. Of course this may or may not be a problem.
    Sure, 28 seconds - is the longest exposure without star trails with 35mm f3.5 Contax 645 lens.

Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    This is a religious argument for visual observers, but for photography, GPS doesn't solve the problem by itself---you still need an equatorial mount aligned to north to track the movement of the sky without causing apparent rotation of the visual field.
    Well, this was my assumption. I have no experience with GPS and fork (?) mount, but precise alignment of Equatorial mount in the field is not easy if ever possible for very long exposures without hand corrections.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Neil Folberg shoots 2 completely separate exposures on different film, merges them digitally. That's the description in the interview.
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

Shooter
    35mm
    Jiri, thank.

Shooter
    35mm
    I will be approx 24 hours in the desert close to Dead Sea in Israel.
    I believe there is a high lever of salt in the air there.

I will take a Contax 645 with a film back for night long exposures. I think to take another Contax 645 with Sinarback 54M and Macbook for Sunset and Sunrise.

How would you protect the equipment in the Dead Sea desert area?

Thank

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm back to home.

It was 40C/104F degrees at 8PM. I shoot one 120 roll of Velvia 50 and we quickly tired. In the early morning I shoot 6 frames of Astia 100 of Sunrise, the temperature was 32C/90F. The Sun was so bright that we decided to go home after half an hour.
    I will develop slides, scan and post in September. Not that quickly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin