Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,559   Posts: 1,573,292   Online: 945

Shooter
    Medium Format

bronica sq-ai dark slide

I purchased a sq-ai, 80mm lens, wlf and a 120 non-i back last week from KEH last week. I finally got around to using it today (house plumbing issues and it didn't arrive until thursday). I took three shots this morning before realizing the dark slide was still in place. I didn't think it could do this. I checked and the slide was seated fully.

Now, this isn't the only oddity. I can pull the slide out and reinsert it and the camera wont release the back from the body when i push the button. I have to pull the slide out, put it back in, several times and jump around on one foot to get the back to release from the camera body.

Did i get a bum back? Again, i checked each time and the slide was correctly inserted and fully seated, but the camera would not release the back and the shutter would fire.

thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of my three backs, one will happily let me fire the shutter with the slide in, 'tho I do not have your problem of removing the back with the slide in. You are correct that it should not do this.

Clearly the slide interlock is not working properly. Hopefully someone has fixed this before but I've never bothered so can't actually suggest a fix, sorry...

Good luck, Bob.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donner View Post
    Did i get a bum back?...
    I have this camera: the answer is yes, and/or a bum body, the shutter should not fire with the ds in and the back should release with it in (if you do get the back off you'll see the interlock features and may see some damage to them, they actually use quite small sized parts). I'd suggest getting the body & back both replaced - and maybe get at least one spare back (or even a body, they are quite cheap s/h).
    Once you have one that is working correctly they are a good option in 6x6 SLR's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have three backs for mine and only one lets me fire away with the dark slide in. It's a bummer for sure.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the responses. Both the back and the body are still under KEHs 14 day warranty and i am thinking about sending them back, but i am curious for those who have had this problem. Other than remembering to remove the dark slide each and every time (seems odd to say, i know) is there any danger of keeping this back/body combo other than it doesn't work exactly right? I mean i know i should get it replaced while i can, but i don't get the sense that it's anything but an inconvenience, is that right?

Dave, is there any way to check, other than finding other backs and bodies to combo with, to see which could be causing the problem as far as the back or the body? I'm new to a small town in MS and i don't think i can find anyone with this same setup in the next few days.

I'll probably send it back to KEH, just seems like a shame since i only just got it. Anyway, thanks again all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My back that does not interlock properly works fine in every other way. My feeling is that it is more likely to be the back than the body that is at fault, so you could get them to send another back (suspending the 14-day return period until you have tested it). However, it may be simpler to send it all back and get them to test replacements before sending them to you.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hello donner,

I have a back which on occasion would not release also. On inspection I noticed that at the bottom of the darkslide there is a small 'tooth' which passes into a slot thus enabling the back to be removed.

I apply a very slight twisting moment to that section of the darkslide just as it reaches the slot and have not had the problem again. there is obviously a slight mis-alignment probably due the age.

I hope this will help, even if you do intend to get it fixed, as a way forward.

Regards Daniel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just pulled the first roll out of the soup and have noticed a small light leak, so the back is going back. I could have probably lived with the ds acting oddly, but the leak was a deal breaker. I almost didn't notice it since it wasn't present in all the shots, only in a few and then the degree to which the light leaked depended on how i was standing to the light. THanks for the help, though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It seems simulatordan has it -- my SQ-Ai does this, in fact I toasted some very nice moments due to my stupidity at not removing the darkslide and thinking the camera wouldn't fire with it in. Sadly I learned the hard way this particular one does.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin