Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,162   Online: 772

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KPT View Post
    Since i have a bunch of 52mm i bought a 46mm to 52mm adaptor.
    They'll work fine, but good luck using them with lenshoods or lens caps .

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

49mm and step ring of my recommendation

I have the 65, 80 and 180 lens sets. The 65 and 180 chomes shutter lens sets use 49mm for filter fitting.

Whoever had the 80 before me fitted it with 46mm UV filters on both lenses, which is nice from a mechanical protection perspective, since the 80 is on the camera most of the time.

When I fit a 49mm filter on the 80, I steal the 49mm lens cover from the 65,and leave the 65 sitting in it's little velvetted case.
    my real name, imagine that.

KPT
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    They'll work fine, but good luck using them with lenshoods or lens caps .

Matt
    I guess i just jumped the gun when i bought the step-up ring. I was a little to excited to shoot it and wanted a quick fix for the filters. Im ordering the correct 46mm filters today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

diy hood

my 330 lenses are sans factory hoods. I made a hood for the 65 with foam core and a bit of thin shim stock, all sprayed matt black. It works fine for the 65 and 80 in most situations. It fits snug to 49mm, so if I use it with the 80, I screw the step ring on to hold the hood in place.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KPT View Post
    I guess i just jumped the gun when i bought the step-up ring. I was a little to excited to shoot it and wanted a quick fix for the filters. Im ordering the correct 46mm filters today.
    In case I came across as too harsh...

Be sure to keep your step-up ring.

There are some filters that you will use a lot. Those are the ones that you want to have in 46mm versions.

There are others that you may want to try on your TLR, and/or which may serve you well on other equipment, and/or which you will already have in the 52mm size.

Or others which are hard to find in 46mm or very expensive, and which you don't want to both two versions of - one for your 52mm equipment, and one for your 46mm equipment.

For all those, the step-up ring will be great.

I have a 65mm lens for my C330 (and my C220) which takes 49mm filters. I also have 55mm, 80mm and 135mm lenses, all of which take 46mm filters. A step-down 49-46mm ring wouldn't work on the 65mm lens, but a step-up 46mm-49mm ring will work on the other three.

Here is an example of how I approached the issue. I wanted to try some IR film in my C series TLRs, and needed an R72 IR filter. They are relatively hard to find, and fairly expensive. I wasn't sure whether I'd shoot a lot of IR, and didn't know whether I'd need to shoot it on more than one lens. As a result, I decided quickly - buy a 49mm filter that fits the 65mm lens, and keep the step-up ring handy if I decide to use the other lenses.

If I end up shooting a lot of IR, using a variety of lenses, I'll spring for the 46mm IR filter (if I can find it).

Matt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin