Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,897   Posts: 1,584,336   Online: 847

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ricohflex VIIs

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ricohflex VIIs

I just got this camera in today. It appears to be an excellent camera, built much more solidly than my Voigtlander Brillant.

However, it appears to have a problem. The "pin" that grips the slots in a 120 film reel is broken off. There is a circular pin with a notch taken out, apparently where the broken piece fits. Does anyone have any ideas for repair, or should I just send it back?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nobody has any ideas?

I am thinking of just putting some kind of metal in the spool itself, and simply using the same takeup spool each time I reload (or modify a few ahead of time).

The question is, what could I put in the spool that would be rigid enough?

Shooter
    35mm
    Could you post a photo? I'm having a hard time visualizing the design from your description. That's not how I'd describe the design of the relevant parts of my Lubitel and Kiev MF cameras, but I don't know if that's because I'm misinterpreting your description or because the designs are radically different. In the interest of providing my own "2,000 words," here are two photos of the setup on my Kiev 6C:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/kiev-pin1.jpg
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/kiev-pin2.jpg

If yours is similar, one idea might be to find a suitable bit of metal and epoxy it into place where the piece has broken off. That would be risky, though (get it wrong and you might never get it out). Another option: A camera repair shop might be able to find a replacement part.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Here is the problem. It actually appears to be a simpler design than yours, srs.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm trying to picture how this works. Is there supposed to be a bar that fits between the two half-circle pieces and that then engages with the slots in the 120 spool? If so, I'd try to find a suitably-sized piece of metal or hard plastic and wedge it into either the camera or a take-up spool. If this works, you could super-glue it in place, just to keep from losing it between rolls.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, that's how it works. You can see the breaking point between the two half-circles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just checked my Rolleicord and the two little wings that broke off are part of the lower assembly. The pin originally has no slot in it.

So, it looks like someone before you already tried to fix it by grinding the slot and putting a little piece of metal in there (which has subsequently fallen out).

If you can't get a piece of metal to stay in there, I'd see if one of the various Rollei repair shops has the correct replacement part. I think these cameras are worth fixing (if the rest of the camera is in good shape).

Another possibility is that the replacement knob for the Rolliekin may have a new take up assembly (but I don't know for sure).

http://www.foto.no/rolleiflex/Rollei-8-2.html
    Last edited by ic-racer; 08-12-2008 at 09:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The rest of the camera is in immaculate shape! It looks like it was never used. Has Rollei taken over Ricohflex repairs?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This looks like a fairly easy thing to repair, you only need a piece of metal and I'm sure you can superglue it in there.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sure enough. I just don't know where I could get a suitable piece of metal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin