Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,567   Online: 784

Thread: stock cubes?

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm wondering which format to use for stock photography-currently using 6x6 (mamiya c330) and 5x4. Shooting colour trannies on LF costs an arm and a leg, but 6x6 is going to be cropped to fit a rectangular page-so I'm thinking why not use 6x9 ? Either RF back on the 5x4 (convenient but more to carry) or Fuji 690 ? Any thoughts on this appreciated.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For most stock situations 35mm chromes are the way to go. Unless you are doing something very specialized. I shot stock for years and found 35mm sold just as well as MF. Now if I'm dealing with art directors directly, then MF is the way to go. They are impressed with the size over 35mm.

These days it seems most of the ad agencies want to see digital files so you might as well shoot a D1 or something like that.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Images
    Stock is 99% digital now, so you can either scan whatever you want, or shoot it digital to begin with.

Brian
    hi!

I met someone once who worked for a stock agency. She said that due to the amount of time she spent looking for certain images, that she would first look for the kind of pictures she wanted by searching medium format first, then if she didn't find it she would look in 35mm. It was just so much easier to look at larger images.

Michael McBlane

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin