Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,751   Posts: 1,670,611   Online: 944

Shooter
    Medium Format

Old Rolleiflex in Windhoek -- redux

Thanks for all the help and advice guys and gals -- the 1951 Rolleiflex Automat (model 4) is now mine, obtained for the perfectly sensible price of N$1500 (USD192). Sweet!

Everything seems to be in working order so far, apart from the two slowest shutter speeds, which are a little sticky; a CLA is in order next time I'm in 'civilisation', which should solve that.

Looking at the lens, a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar f/3.5, I see not only the bayonet filter coupling (Bay 1, right), but also a thread. What's that for, and what size is it? It looks like ~27mm or so...

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    The early 3,5 Automats can use both bayonet and push-on filters and sun shades. The thread shouldn't be used for anything. It's only for the ring that keeps the front element in place.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK, so it's off to find Bay1 filters I go... Any suggestions as to where yellow and IR may reasonably be obtained?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kavandje View Post
    OK, so it's off to find Bay1 filters I go... Any suggestions as to where yellow and IR may reasonably be obtained?
    Yellow ones turn up on that well-known auction site with some regularity, but I think you'd have to be quite lucky to find a Bay Anything IR filter at a decent price. Best probably to buy an adapter to a standard threaded size (I've gone to 49mm, but for Bay I only you could go quite a lot smaller).

-NT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The big auction site is not a good proposition for me; nobody wants to ship to Africa for some reason...

But: Are there maybe places in Vancouver or London who might stock, say, a Bay 1 to 39mm adapter? That way I can borrow the Leica's filters...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you don't mind buying from the UK these people are Ok
    http://www.mwclassic.com/acatalog/MW...IPMENT_37.html
    They have a B1 green for £3 ($6US)
    FFordes sometimes have stuff too...

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    The IR-filter (Rollei-Infrarot) isn't just a filter, but it's also a weak lens, that compensates for the IR-focus. So if you want to shoot IR with the Rolleiflex, I suggest that you find a Rollei-Infrarot in Bayonet I.

There are two different yellow Rollei-filters, Gelb-Hell (light-yellow), and Gelb-Mittel (medium yellow).

There's also the Sport-filter, a very light yellow. (It's called "Sport" becuase the filter factor is low).

B+W and Heliopan makes new filters in bayonet mounts.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin