Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,334   Posts: 1,537,521   Online: 1060

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hassie 80mm C lens

Okay. I picked up a 1995-made 501c kit (in orig box) with the 80mm lens, A12 back and WLF.

The lens serial # matches the box serial #. The lens and the box both list it as a "C" lens with T*, but it looks just like my 80mm CF lens, and takes a B60 filter. What is it?

Everything I find seems to say the "C" lens took a B50 filter and would have a timer on it. And it appears they stopped making them in 1982.

I don't think it's a CB as they appear to have started in 1997.

My CF is labeled CF. I would assume a CFE or CFI would also be labeled as such, right?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It is indeed a CF without the cross-coupling button and the F setting, they are cosmetically modified CF's produced between 94 and 97 for the 501C and earlier 501CM packages.
    In 1997, the CB initials were introduced.

Cheers

André
    Last edited by André E.C.; 08-13-2008 at 02:29 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: info correction

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There was a run of CF lenses without the F function that Hasselblad sold with 501C kits. I think that's what you have. A picture would help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The C lenses do have Bay 50 filter mounts and a Bay 60 would mean the CF series. Some of the late C's were issued as chrome T* models. I have one. A CB lens should be labeled as "CB". I believe Karl is correct regarding a few CF's being labeled differently for certain marketing packages.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John R. View Post
    I believe Karl is correct regarding a few CF's being labeled differently for certain marketing packages.
    Karl and André were both correct: it's not a relabeled "CF" lens. It is a "CF" lens stripped of the "F" function, making it a "C" lens again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by karl View Post
    There was a run of CF lenses without the F function that Hasselblad sold with 501C kits. I think that's what you have. A picture would help.
    That would be it. Thanks. Never knew such a beast existed.

As for the photos, I'm still one of the younger prima donnas that doesn't have a digi or a scanner.

Shooter
    Multi Format

"NEW" C

Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Karl and André were both correct: it's not a relabeled "CF" lens. It is a "CF" lens stripped of the "F" function, making it a "C" lens again.
    The actual labeling of the lens is "C" but is called the "new" C Planar. It was introduced in 1994.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John R. View Post
    The actual labeling of the lens is "C" but is called the "new" C Planar. It was introduced in 1994.
    I think Hasselblad was misunderstood on the issue, the C designation was in matters of similar behaviour of this optic and the old C's in focal plane bodies, that's all.
    The optical design is the same, the prontor shutter also the same as a regular CF, why then name it "new C" if it was in reality a CF without those two functions named above?

It was mainly a marketing/market manouver by Hasselblad to bring in new costumers with lower purchasing power, unable to enter the system via CF route, the logical result of such move, was the 97 introduced budget CB series.

André
    Last edited by André E.C.; 08-13-2008 at 03:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Given the meticulous nature of their cameras, you'd think their nomenclature would be a little more regimented . . .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think this series of optics was mainly a kit lenses for early 501 C and CM bodies, and never sold as a buy it alone optic, i'm not sure on this, maybe Q.G can throw some light on the issue.

André

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin