Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,899   Online: 930

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Pentacon 6 Wide Advice Needed!

I'm looking for an economical wide angle lens for my Pentacon 6 TL. The Zeiss Flektogon 50/4 still commands pretty serious money, at least if recent eBay sales are any indication. I've seen a lens called the Mir-38 which is a 65mm F3.5 that typically sells for less and is newer and it may do the job for me (at least for now).

One thing I can't figure out is if the Mir-38 fits both the Kiev 60/88 AND the Pentacon 6? Do all these cameras have the same lens mount and back focus or are there differences I need to be aware of? Maybe I should just pony-up the money for a Flektogon? I'd welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

Shooter
    35mm
    OK, I think I may have figured out that the Kiev 60 and Pentacon 6 have a compatible mount and back focus, but the Kiev 88 has a longer back focus. Does this sound right?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm looking for an economical wide angle lens for my Pentacon 6 TL.
    Buy the Mir 3,5/65 (Mir 38b).It's very sharp and contrasty.

Kyprianos
    Last edited by naknak; 08-14-2008 at 07:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Words make the pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I may be wrong but it is my understanding the Pentacon 6 is a breech lock and the Kiev88 is a screw mount.
    When in doubt, have a look at the Arax site:
    http://araxfoto.com/
    lens section.
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Pentacon 6 and Kiev 60 mounts are the same, Kiev 88 is different.

I don't know what you consider serious money, but I paid about £50 plus shipping (~US$120) for a single-coated zebra Flektogon 50/4 in P6 mount from an ebay seller "cupog". Newer multi-coated lenses go for more.

One thing to bear in mind: The 50/4 requires 86mm filters, which could set you back more than the cost of the lens for a quality brand.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan160 View Post
    Pentacon 6 and Kiev 60 mounts are the same, Kiev 88 is different.
    Ian
    Unless its a Kiev 88CM, which is the Pentacon/Kiev 60 mount

Yes, the normal Kiev 88 is a screw mount. You can get an adapter that will allow its lenses to be mounted on a Pentacon mount. The Russian/Ukranian lenses are often available in both mounts, so check the description carefully, or ask the seller.

The 50/4 is a decent lens, probably the best of the (commonly available) wide-angles available for that mount. Rather than go for the later all black multi-coated version, go for the slightly earlier single coated version. You'll save quite a bit of money, and I'm pretty sure you won't spot the difference in results. You should be able to score one for US$100. I got the zebra version for under $100. As previously pointed out though, then filter diameter is large, and the filters correspondingly expensive. There are some cheaper filters out there in 86mm, but you may find they vignette a little. Another option is a step-up ring to a more common size, but the filters are still going to be costly. Or, go with some square filters, and hold them in front of the lens!

Have a read at the Pentacon Six site for some further info.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I went through three 50mm fleks before I ended up with a really good one. The aperture broke on the first, and i could find no one to fix it for less than I paid for the lens ( a zebra model). The next, another zebra, was so unsharp as to be unusable. I refused to even resell it, as it truly is a dog.
    Finally I bit the bullet and bought a newer, multicoated version in like new shape from Cupog. Yes, I paid more, but it would have been cheaper to do so in the first place.
    Bottom feeding is always a crap shoot.
    I have never used the russian lens you mention, so can't speak to it.
    The flek is a jewel of a lens. It and the 180 sonnar are the best reasons to have a p6 mount camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    As others have said, the Pentacon 6, Kiev 6C/60/88CM, and some modified Kiev 88s use the same mount, but unmodified non-CM Kiev 88s use a different mount. Read descriptions carefully if you buy online, and check photos, too, if available -- sometimes sellers who don't know what they're selling mislabel something after minimal research.

I bought a new-old-stock (NOS) Mir-38B from 1989 a few months ago, and it's quite good optically. It seems a bit cheap mechanically, but if you want a bargain lens, it can be a good deal. Note, however, that the difference between 65mm and 80mm (if you've already got an 80mm normal lens) isn't all that huge. My Kiev 6C came with a 90mm lens, so 65mm was a bit more of a difference for me.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's worth saving up for the 50mm Flektogon. When I had a Pentacon 6, I had four CZJ lenses (something like 50/75/150/300), and that was definitely the best in the kit. When I traded it at Ken Hansen for lighting gear circa 1991, they said they were willing to buy the whole kit just for the Flektogon.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    OK guys, this is great expert advice from all. After reading the responses here and checking the prices a little more carefully, I've decided to hold out for a Flektogon 50/4 in native P6 mount (Zebra or otherwise). For one thing the 65mm Mir-38 is a little too close to my 80mm Biometar in angular coverage - At this time my photographic subjects require a true wide-angle and I think the Flektogon will best meet this need for now. I'll post some sample shots here when I get one up and running!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin