Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,642   Online: 794

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The shutter on my Pentacon 6TL is quite smooth and very well damped. A lot better than my friends Pentax 67 (which is also load enough to wake the dead :o) I've not noticed any shutter induced lack of sharpness.

Speaking to the guy that did the CLA on my camera, he claims that the P6 is generally well damped with a mirror brake, and generally does well without MLU. He also said that the Kievs really do need a MLU, as they generate much more vibration.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My Kiev 60 has very little slap, it sounds loud, but the camera stays relatively stable. My Bronica SQ-B was decent, but my RB67 has an excellent system with virtually no slap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kowa mirror

If I remember my trivia correctly, the Kowa's (maybe just the Super 66) mirror moves up and out of the way with a bit of a built-in delay before the leaf shutter fires, allowing the vibrations to settle down before exposure. Does this ring a bell with anyone?
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Shooter
    Medium Format

yes it does..

Quote Originally Posted by tmike View Post
    If I remember my trivia correctly, the Kowa's (maybe just the Super 66) mirror moves up and out of the way with a bit of a built-in delay before the leaf shutter fires, allowing the vibrations to settle down before exposure. Does this ring a bell with anyone?
    Hi Mike..
    I've got 3 Kowa Six bodies and yes, the mirror does move up and there is a few milliseconds delay before the shutter fires. I do think this helps a bit when shooting hand held with it. The Kowa is a nice system overall. The only draw back is how hard it is to get them serviced..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I regularily shoot my Pentacon Six handheld. If your P6 is shaking the tripod, maybe something is wrong with it. I have shot some 35mm slrs that were louder. Maybe I just got lucky with my P6. It's never given me any trouble (oops.. shouldn't have said that). 13 perfectly spaced shots on a roll of 120, and 27 shots on a roll of 220.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DSindrey View Post

Any comments appreciated.
    Can't say on your camera if the shutter or mirror cause the problems. Since my Rolleis have leaf shutters, I know where the problem lies. One solution I use for hand-holding a 6000 style camera is to increase the polar moment of inertia for upward rotation from the mirror slap. Also, I decrease the rotational angle of the scene on the film (ie: wide angle lens). Adding the viewing prisim and the monster 40mm Zeiss lens (old style) and the pistol grip lets me shoot at 1/30th without mirror pre-release.

In comparison, with the camera tripod-mounted, waist level viewer and 80mm lens mirror pre-release is required for anything less than 1/500th (for 'critical work')

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only way to tell is by comparing the pictures to others shot with the mirror locked up. I have an old Bronica S2A. When you release the shutter, it sounds like a cannon going off, and the camera jumps in your hands. But the pictures are sharp, so the shock and vibration must all happen after the exposure. A friend shoots with a Pentax 67 and almost always has to lock the mirror up to get the results he wants. That big mirror has a lot of inertia and creates quite a shock when it moves out of the way. My Pentax 645, with a mirror about a quarter that size, has no problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin