Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,491   Posts: 1,542,956   Online: 885

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I did it again

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    "Pictures of Lily" -- I trust everyone remembers that song by The Who. Maybe "Lily" was well-known to British young men growing up in the late 50's/early 60's. Here are some lyrics, which would allude to Lily being an attractive lady:
    I doubt it could possibly be the same Lily as in the song 'she's been dead since 1929' so likely this is the who's Lilly
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lillie_Langtry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah I really can't figure out who this guy is talking about but this person could have possibly been a playboy bunny in the 50's or 60's.......I don't even know when playboy first came to be. I think she was definitely a model but narrowing that down would be impossible. Who ever she is though this particular camera was supposedly given to her by Herman Leonard which I think is the coolest part.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Antony View Post
    I doubt it could possibly be the same Lily as in the song 'she's been dead since 1929' so likely this is the who's Lilly
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lillie_Langtry
    I was very curious about the story so I actually emailed Herman Leonard himself just on a goof not thinking I would hear anything back. Well wouldn't you know it Mr. Leonard responded an I must say it was a true honor.
    Anyway he said that he didn't think........ah hell let me just post what he said:

Dear Mr. Eiser,
    Your e-mail provoked a lot of memories for me. Those years were
    wonderful. As for the Rollie, I can't conceive of having "given" a Rollie
    to "Lily" since I was still a struggling photographer, not quite rich enough to give away
    such an expensive camera. And the only "Lily" I can remember was that
    well-known professional stripper Lilly Saint Cyr who I had photographed while
    still in New York before moving to Paris.
    Whoever she got the camera from was a very generous person and you are the lucky inheriter
    of that beautiful piece of equipment.
    Cheers,
    Herman Leonard

So I now I'm on a mission because curiosity has gotten the best of me. I emailed the seller of the camera to see if this particular Lily is his mother......so hopefully he will respond and I can get to the bottom of this.
    When I received the camera there was a roll of E6 in it..........Maybe I should develop it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting story! I love it when gear has a history, makes it more personal. I'd love to know who owned my Rollei and see pictures taken with it. Your seller seems to think the camera took pictures of many musicians in the 50's and 60's, it would be great to verify that.
    Good luck
    Mark
    P.S Dev that E-6!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I got a response from the seller of the camera and he said that this particular Lily was not his mother and that he was not in the "Mood" to go tabloid. He was completely pi$$ed about selling the camera for so cheap. He forgot to put a reserve on it and regrets selling it now. He apparently is mad at me for "burning" him on the deal.
    Oh well I guess we'll never know the true story but this guy sounds like an a$$

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LOL he sold it! I'd develop the E-6 do a little blog on the images you find. Shame he is going to let the history die.
    Enjoy the camera!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any more news on this? Very interesting thread. I would love to know what was on that film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jerk151 View Post
    Any more news on this? Very interesting thread. I would love to know what was on that film.

I'm in the process of moving and haven't had a chance to develop it yet. I'm curious myself as to what is on it.
    As far as the story goes, I've reached a dead end and I guess we will never know who the true owner was. I was able to talk to Herman Leonard though so it was worth it just for that since I really admire his work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alright Reverend, hope your move went well, but wondering what came of this. The history may have come to an end, but that film still has a story in it. Let's see it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd be curious to know what's on the film.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin