Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,742   Online: 946

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, here she is, in all her patina'd glory:

The covering is held on by sticky tape, prestik, inertia and not a lot else. The exposure table is gone. The flash socket has been ... modified ...

What's interesting is that in contrast to my Automat, which is labelled 'DBP / DBGM', this one still says 'DRP / DRGM' -- was the body perhaps part of a pre-war manufacturing batch?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just order a new leatherette from cameraleather.com , he has the greatest kits and your camera is certainly supported. It will give a whole new life to your camera.

The fact that the body may be a prewar model could be correct. When WWII broke out all German companies that where producing items that could be used in military vehicles or for other military purposes had to stop all non-essential civil production and had to start making stuff for the military. Zeiss-Ikon for instance had to make things like Periscopes for the U-boats. I guess that Rollei had to make similar devices. So the bodies that not had been assembled yet were probably just stocked and re-used when the war was over. The funny thing is, while they didn't make any camera's during the war they still advertised the Rolleicord and Flex in propaganda magazines, I got a bunch of Signal magazines lying around with a lot of advertising in it for Rollei.

The same thing applies for companies in German occupied territory, Meopta for instance (then still called Optikotechna) had to halt production too and while Optikotechna changed it name to Meopta in 1946 (some say even 1945) many camera's still had parts with the Optikotechna name and label on it, those were just old stocks lying around from before the occupation of Czechoslovakia.
    Last edited by Uncle Goose; 08-23-2008 at 03:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had thought about the kits from cameraleather.com, but as it happens there's an excellent tannery here in Windhoek, from which I obtained a number of good goatskin hides last month -- originally intended for 4x5 film holder bags and so on -- as well as a bunch of ostrich leg off-cuts; chances are, if I do re-skin the camera, I'll do it myself...

Quite aside from the camera's optical performance (I'll let the Tessar speak for itself once the shutter's operational and everything's been adjusted to something resembling spec), I'm fascinated by this camera's chequered past: its relative obscurity, the recall story, the pre-war body, the US-model camera in southern Africa, the unbelievable amount of wear and tear.

What this camera must have seen, what it must have photographed!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kavandje View Post
    I had thought about the kits from cameraleather.com, but as it happens there's an excellent tannery here in Windhoek, from which I obtained a number of good goatskin hides last month -- originally intended for 4x5 film holder bags and so on -- as well as a bunch of ostrich leg off-cuts; chances are, if I do re-skin the camera, I'll do it myself...

Quite aside from the camera's optical performance (I'll let the Tessar speak for itself once the shutter's operational and everything's been adjusted to something resembling spec), I'm fascinated by this camera's chequered past: its relative obscurity, the recall story, the pre-war body, the US-model camera in southern Africa, the unbelievable amount of wear and tear.

What this camera must have seen, what it must have photographed!
    If you can do it yourself it's OK too but I prefer those kits because they are precut, have an adhesive back and fit perfectly so no hassle with it. But I assume that you could do it if you are a little handy ( I did an Agfa IsolaII with sheets, a little bit of a PITA to cut it to fit but still nice).

And I too ask myself the question what some old camera's have seen in their lifetime, if only we could revive the images that once were passing trough it's lens. Sometimes you have luck and find an old roll of film inside that has been exposed and shows at least some images of it's past.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You have posted square pictures of it!!! Excellent!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it were mine I would try soaking the shutter mechanism (removed from camera, of course) in naptha.

If I understand, you have two of these? If you are going to be opening it up there is a PDF file of the shop manual for the later cameras that I can send you if you are interested. (its 60mb)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    @ ic-racer: Of course the pictures are square. I took them with my other Rolleiflex! :-)

I do indeed have two Rolleiflexen; the 2.8A, and an Automat -- both from 1951. At this stage, the Automat is the user, and the 2.8A is the 'problem child', but eventually I hope to be able to use both, as the situation demands. At this stage I prefer to leave the mechanical overhaul to someone likely to have the necessary parts, expertise and experience not to trash it. My current shutter explorations are amateurish and clumsy, and I'd rather not risk damaging a mechanism I would prefer to have as a 'keeper'!

A 60mb file is, alas, too big for my puny network connection, unless you can host the file somewhere I can download it from overnight...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So on a road trip, I found a beat to hell Rolleiflex TLR mouldering away on a tripod as a display piece in a photography shop. I took a closer look; looked like the same sort of vintage as the other one I found recently, except with a 2.8 Tessar.

"Oooh," thinks I; "I reckon that after a CLA and some basic repairs, she'll come right." Made an offer of not-very-much, which was accepted, so now I own *two* Rolleiflexes, one of which looks like hell.

When I got home, I discovered that this is a Rolleiflex 2.8A Type 2 from ~1951, of which apparently only around 2000 were made, and which were allegedly all exported to the US (the distance scale is in feet), and which seems to be the only one equipped with a Bay 2...

Apparently some US-model cameras found their way to South Africa and Namibia. The one I found came with a set of Rolleinar 1 closeup lenses -- including the parallax correcting doodad -- and a lens shade. The lens looks clean, the mirror is scratched, the focussing screen is a little loose. The shutter fired a few times, but it is now unresponsive. Dried up, gummed-up lubricant, methinks.

This camera has had a hard life, but the patina is awesome, and I'm gonna try to save her. Wish me luck!
    God bless you, Sir. Surely your place in Rollei heaven is now assured. A crown awaits you, as it should. keep us posted. Many of us would kill for an old 2.8A!! Bill Logan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    God bless you, Sir. Surely your place in Rollei heaven is now assured. A crown awaits you, as it should. keep us posted. Many of us would kill for an old 2.8A!! Bill Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A 60mb file is, alas, too big for my puny network connection, unless you can host the file somewhere I can download it from overnight...

You can try this one: http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/manu...leiflextlr.zip

Name = free
    Password= manuals

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin