Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,337   Posts: 1,537,602   Online: 1082

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey kvandje, good to see you on apug, I know your stuff from flickr...

As to CLA on a compur shutter, it is actually not all that hard. Soaking the whole shutter in naphta is usually not what I do. Often there is some grease on the shutter blades that prevents them from moving. Simply removing the front plate of the camera (you will put new leather on it anyway so there is no problem taking the old leatherette off) and then unscrewing the front element of the lens will give you access to the shutter blades. Then use a q-tip dipped in naphta (cigarette lighter fluid) and carefully swipe the shutter blades. Then dry them with a dry q-tip and perhaps a few soft blows of compressed air. Then repeat this process a few dozen times and your shutter will probably come to life again.

What a great find! Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing some photos taken with it in your photo stream.

...Markus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Markus!

Thanks for the welcome!

It's not just the shutter, otherwise I'd have a go at taking it apart. The focusing screen has come loose, and I want to make sure that things like the film-beginning-sensor-rollers (I prefer the German Tastwerk...) are within spec. I just don't know enough about Rolleiflexes to want to risk it. I'll try taking it with me to London (flying there on the way to Vancouver coming Tuesday) to see if Sendean can do anything. Failing that, I'll try in Vancouver, and if that doesn't work, I'll take it home again and pull it apart on the dining room table...

But yeah: I'm really looking forward to having this camera come to life again!

Shooter
    35mm
    Good luck with the camera in London or Vancouver. My experience with repairs and in particular parts for Rollei gear is that it tends to be outrageously expensive. A reputable Rollei repairman in California once quoted me $50 for a Rolleicord door hinge! I waited instead and found the same part months later on ebay for $10.

Viel Glueck und viel Spass auf der Reise!

- Markus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I have it back now, and it feels great!

Of course in order to tell for sure whether my good feelings are premature, I should probably process some of the steady stream of Tri-X I've been feeding through it...

I have named it 'Beaterflex'.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin