Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,480   Posts: 1,542,693   Online: 838

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NJS
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    The RB 50 was the only lens in the family that disappointed me.
    I quite like the 50 although some barrel distrotions are visible when doing close ups or on peripherals when focused to infinity.
    90mm shows heck of a lot distortions, yes.

The new RB 90 has worked well for me
    that's the KL version you were mentioning?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes the KL or L or whatever it's called- the newest one is what I have been using.

I am not using it for anything but adapting it with extension tubes to a specialized 360 lens.

Overall I prefer the 127 KL to the 90.

~~~

IMHO many of these discussions regarding newer or older RB lenses pivot around the issue of whether you shoot colour or b&w and what you will do with your negs or slides. If perchance you shoot colour, then colour neutrality and chromatic aberration and the appearance of flare are more obvious issues. If you scan then you don't care so much about neutrality. It all depends on your workflow.

A central design goal for the newest lenses in the rb and rz lines (and pretty much every other lens on the market today) is to decrease chromatic artifacts... by incorporating low dispersion elements and/or introducing better correction and introducing better coatings. Granted, the major motivation behind all this is that [Bayer] digital sensors are far more susceptible to chromatic aberration. That is not to say that these issues are meaningless to film users- they do matter. How much they matter will vary from person to person.

For me the bottom line is: test for yourself, decide what works for you, and don't assume that what works for me ( or anybody else) will work equally well for you. There are plenty of reasons to go for older lenses, and plenty of reasons to go for newer.
    Last edited by keithwms; 09-02-2010 at 04:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

NJS
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post

Have never seen any distortion from the 90/3.8--ever.

how would you call these then?

or these?

sorry for these crappy examples, just a random shots while testing.

so anyone noticing that been corrected in KL versions?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Looks like keystoning and close focus distortion with a wide lens. My 90 doesn't do this close up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
    You have pretty noticeable distortion there. The verticals are not at all straight (notwithstanding perspective, of course).

I became sensitive to this when I was using an rb 50 and was comparing it to the performance from the 50 on my mamiya 6. Night and day difference. I saw almost zero distortion from the RF 50; the rb 50 was resold almost immediately. N.b. the rb 65mm is substantially better in this regard.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't really mind the distortion but I am thinking about the 65mm for when I really don't want it
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd not hesitate to use either for sharp pix (with a lens hood, as Mr. Williams suggested)...but there is a visible difference, IMO. In fact, I like the older RB ones a lot of the time for the effects of the different (i.e. less advanced) coatings. I have a busted 250 that will not stop down properly, but I use it wide open for shooting people. I have tried selling it cheap, but no one wants a busted lens, so I keep it.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, the 'effects' of the older lenses can be quite useful. I have no less than four 80mm lenses for the mamiya 645 system, ranging from uralt to spankin' new, and they are all quite different in many ways. It's not unusual for me to have two or three of those 80s in my bag at once.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin