Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,240   Online: 827

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In case you felt like using the Rolleiflex: cropping a 6x6 frame to the aspect ratio of a 6x7 frame would mean printing a negative with 6x5.14 dimensions. So let's say 6x5.

Crop half a centimeter at the top and half a centimeter at the bottom. Just make yourself a cardboard cutout to place on the ground glass of the Rolleiflex, and see if you like it.

Then, print a 6x5 negative at the size you want to exhibit and see if the image quality, look, or gestalt is up to your standard.

Unless you go with the Mamiya 7, you will not get 6x7 as portable as the Rolleiflex. (OK, there's the Plaubel Makina, but you won't find a cheap one!).

With the Rolleiflex, you're leveraging a camera you already own, that has fantastic lenses, and whose controls you know by heart. Buying new gear is fun, but if you're budget-conscious, give the cropping route at least one try.

EDIT: OK, I saw the mention of needing wide lenses... As others have said, pick 2 out of cheap, lightweight, versatile.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bunnik View Post
    ... There is no GSW670 with a wide angle lens but there are the GWS690 and 680 models that have a 5.6 65mm wide angle lens. ...
    Yes, my mistake.

But anyway, I still think the Fuji rangefinders are best suited for most uses - landscape, travel, street photo, even some portraits (but yes, head and shoulder portrait is beyond their capability).
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    IMO, the reason, and the only reason, the Pentax outdoes the Mamiya, is the 105mm f/2.4 lens, which is outstanding. It is significantly faster than any Mamiya offering.
    Mamiya makes a 110mm f2.8 lens for the RZ (just one of the reasons I went from an RB to an RZ). Personally, I wouldn't consider 2.4 to be significantly faster than 2.8.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by yardkat View Post
    I may just end up abusing the return policy at KEH.
    Personally I hope you don't do that. If you do, I hope the negative karma comes back on you. In my experiences returning items to KEH (for legitimate reasons), they have also refunded the cost of return shipping (which comes out of their pocket). IMO, buying something with the intent of trying it and returning it for a refund is the same as stealing (especially when the company is refunding the shipping cost both ways).

A smart ebay buyer can easily buy equipment at auction and then re-sell for a fixed 'buy it now' price for a profit (or at least their money back).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ummm, it was a tongue in cheek remark, that's why there's the little winky face afterward. good grief, I'm not a total jerk, I would certainly not abuse a retailer with whom I have had great experiences with in the past, and hope to have in the future as well. I realize you don't know me, and I also realize that online it can be hard to communicate sarcasm, off the cuff remarks, or light hearted banter, so let me just clarify so I don't receive morality lectures and bad karma wishes from anyone else: I have no intention of abusing Keh's or anyone else's return policy. That's why I am really considering, weighing my options, and seeking the counsel of those with more experience than myself. I really don't wish to order something I don't like and then be in such a situation where I want to make a return or exchange, that's why I'm really being careful and not jumping into anything.
    Thanks,
    J

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While I don't know what an 18-35mm zoom weight I can say that with the 50mm f/1,4 and MB15 my F100 puts 1500g on the weight. My P6X7 with a 90mm is around 2500g. The shutter slap issue is a returning argument here on APUG and while I respect other peoples right to feel otherwise I havn't experienced that as a problem (my tripod is a Manfrotto o55). Only thing on that matter is to get a really good head for it.
    If I had the money today I'd go for a P67II also because the finder is much brighter than the one on my old
    6X7.
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by max_ebb View Post
    Mamiya makes a 110mm f2.8 lens for the RZ (just one of the reasons I went from an RB to an RZ). Personally, I wouldn't consider 2.4 to be significantly faster than 2.8.
    Having never considered RZs, I did not know that!

That gives the Pentax about 50% more light gathering ability, making it even less attractive than I already think is. You are right about the fact that this is not a lot, although I guess with 35 that I do usually use my 1.2 lenses over my 1.4 lenses, so there is a difference. However, not enough of a difference to buy into a whole camera system.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-27-2008 at 01:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yardkat View Post
    Ummm, it was a tongue in cheek remark, that's why there's the little winky face afterward. good grief, I'm not a total jerk, I would certainly not abuse a retailer with whom I have had great experiences with in the past, and hope to have in the future as well. I realize you don't know me, and I also realize that online it can be hard to communicate sarcasm, off the cuff remarks, or light hearted banter, so let me just clarify so I don't receive morality lectures and bad karma wishes from anyone else: I have no intention of abusing Keh's or anyone else's return policy. That's why I am really considering, weighing my options, and seeking the counsel of those with more experience than myself. I really don't wish to order something I don't like and then be in such a situation where I want to make a return or exchange, that's why I'm really being careful and not jumping into anything.
    Thanks,
    J
    As someone who uses both the Mamiya 7 and an RZ, I can say that I LOVE the 6x7 format, and I think each camera has its strengths, and compliment each other nicely. And yeah... that 110mm 2.8 for the RZ is an awesome lens! But the RZ is a beast, too! And I use mine handheld, and love the results!! My back, however, isn't always so pleased after hauling it around for a few hours!! So, I'll switch back to the Mamiya 7!!

Having read through this thread there are a lot of 6x7 options. Do you have any good camera stores with a rental department nearby? Sometimes, renting gear, and giving it a good spin for a day or two is the best way to decide which tool is best for you, for your eye, and to feel how it fits your hands.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Do you have any good camera stores with a rental department nearby? Sometimes, renting gear, and giving it a good spin for a day or two is the best way to decide which tool is best for you, for your eye, and to feel how it fits your hands."

Not that I know of, but I really wish! The only film equipment my local store appears to rent is Hasselblad. There is a repair shop in town that has used stuff that I haven't been to in a while, I have meant to swing over there for the last couple of days but haven't been able to as yet. When I used to pop in there more often, I recall that they always had a couple Mamiyas on their shelves. If I finish up in the darkroom reasonably early today maybe I'll swing on over there.
    Basically it sounds like people like all the options...meaning I haven't really heard anything terribly negative about any of the systems, and I probably really can't go too wrong, and really it's up to how it feels to me, since they'll all perform pretty well. I've been following this thread http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/5...pported-5.html as well and getting some info there as well. I also know that if I could spend a little more $$$ I'd have more options, but I also need new tires in the next couple months...*sigh*

Shooter
    Medium Format
    2F/2F said "the people I know who prefer the Pentax are folks who are really pretty technically inept, intimidated by medium format, and prefer it's "big 35" look and feel. "

Never considered myself as technically inept before, 25 years in the industry writing technical articles on photography, and now I'm considered technically inept because of the brand of camera I use. What a load of fucking bollocks.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin