Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,336   Posts: 1,537,571   Online: 1090

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oxford English Dictionary 'inept; unskillful, absurd, '

The implication was definitely there, Mamiya RB = skillful, and knowledgeable, Pentax = you don't know your apertures from your f-stops.

From your tone in your subsequent posts you come across a right "merchant banker", and if you want to know what that means I suggest you do some research into the English language and the usage of idiom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "The implication was definitely there, Mamiya RB = skillful, and knowledgeable, Pentax = you don't know your apertures from your f-stops."

Hogwash. There was no implication. That's the way you took it. Why in high hell would I bother to chuck insults around on the Internet when people are asking what camera to use? I happen to like the Pentax 67 myself.

I can see an Internet misunderstanding if someone did not read the post thoroughly. Nowhere in it did I imply that only technically inept people use Pentaxes. Just read the paragraph. It is plain as day. People want to focus on one phrase instead of actually trying to understand the paragraph. It's ridiculous.

I believe that is a cockney slang for wanker. I have no idea why I know that and the following as my only cockney slang. I also happen to know what a strangely weird is.

If you don't like what I say, you needn't call me a name in a chickenshit roundabout fashion. I agree that I am right, however.

If you will bother to actually respond to my points (first of all..uhm...how I didn't even say what you are getting so upset about), maybe there will be something worth writing about.

Honestly; How do you make it through the day being so darned sensitive to implication? If you want to get your underwear in a wad over some little thing, go do it at Photo.net. If you don't like something someone says in earnest response to an OP, you just have to suck it up and argue it properly, free of angry and overreactive outbursts.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-29-2008 at 10:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul.....There is something to what you have said, though I still think it may be a bit overreactive and harsh. Direct language is troublesome on the Internet. Let me just say, instead:

I am sorry to have offended you. I did not mean what you think I meant. My intent was much more simple. Tempers tend to fly when we can't see each other face to face. This is pointless, and I apologize. I can only say that I was not trying to do anything close to insulting someone, although the implication could be read by some.

That is much more simple and easy, and hopefully causes lots of warm fuzzies for us all.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-29-2008 at 10:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    What I would advise would be to think more about what you wish for as an end result of owning another camera. Then think about where and the conditions under which it is likely to be used. Then be honest with yourself and determine whether the use of the camera justifies the expense and investment. If you live in a habitat that has nominal space then you will be less likely to reap the benefits of the ablility to produce 20x24 prints of high quality. You will find, I believe, that the more print sizes you accumulate the more complex becomes the storage of your body of work.

I have a hard time using more than 1 camera at a time...actually, I have challenges enough with one camera at a time. The more cameras one owns the less facile one becomes at a particular camera's infrequent use. This would not be as much of a problem when using a unfamilar camera by yourself in quiet contemplation and a minimum of distractions from outside influences. However, you will be distracted by having your husband there. If however, you were to be sometimes be working with a dynamic subject, for instance a child, that would benefit from operational proficiency then such lack of familiarity with the camera's features etc could be very problematic.

When working from a tripod with a non square rectangular format a rotating or revolving back is extremely nice...I mean really wonderful. Will the application benefit from ground glass usage? Would you receive greater benefit by expanding your Nikon system as opposed to getting a 6x7?

I own a Mamiya RZ67 with 4 lenses. In the past 10 years I would guess that I have exposed all of 10 frames by handholding the camera. Actually I probably have overstated the frames so exposed. I have shot a good deal of film with it. An overlooked benefit of a heavier instrument could be improved fitness through additional exercise...perhaps enough so that a creampuff could be consumed with exercise offsetting calories injested. This would be hard to accomplish by delegating the exercise to your husband. The larger film size allows for much improved gradation in larger print sizes but I believe that the primary benefit of a bigger format is the larger ground glass for greater ease of and resulting improvement in composition. Certainly, my opinion is that they do little to improve quick handling.

Are you comfortable that a 6x7 is right for you?
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Claire, you bring up some very good points. It's perhaps the case that I've had one too many of my husband's home brews to adequately discuss them, but I will try a little bit.
    I will grant, I do not need this camera, but I think I want one. I think this is one of the fun parts of a hobby, buying things that one don't necessarily need. Also, since it's a hobby, I buy really used and wait out the cheapest deal I can, since I can't justify it by telling myself it's ok because I can write it off. Also, I print at an art center darkroom, so I don't have to worry about print size and buying new trays, enlargers, etc...all that stuff is already there.

"The more cameras one owns the less facile one becomes at a particular camera's infrequent use."
    I get that, it makes sense. considering...

"However, you will be distracted by having your husband there."
    you know, you may be right, but he's really great. He's super patient, waaaayyyy more patient that I would ever be if the tables were turned. I'd be all "can't you set up that shot by now? Let's GO!" And he's never said a word to me. Never. Anyway, he entertains himself while I do my thing, he's great. I think I could probably (maybe, don't want to press my luck) even go out with LF and he'd be ok with it all. (Someday when I'm not totally intimidated by LF, I'll try it out and see.) He just takes pics with his digicam, then tromps around with the dogs, then tromps back, and tromps around some more. Sometimes I feel the pressure to hurry up, but none of it's from him. Also, the project I have in mind has to do with some land his family owns, so it's not an issue, really. But still, I have considered it, and will probably continue to do so.

"If however, you were to be sometimes be working with a dynamic subject, for instance a child,"
    Not likely to happen! Not mine, at any rate! ;0 and if I were photographing someone else's child I'd be bringing my Nikon which I'm pretty familiar with.

"perhaps enough so that a creampuff could be consumed with exercise offsetting calories injested."
    Yup, have thought of that, too! And really, I don't intend for my husband to carry anything other than the tripod, and he only carries that b/c it straps on his pack nicely and I can access it quickly. I'm not a *total* wuss, except for when I am a total wuss...
    I'm not really looking for super quick use, I kind of know what I'm getting into, but I'm just afraid if it's *too* heavy I won't bring it out at all. I just want to be comfortable while hoisting around a brick. Thank you for your point, though, it's all great stuff to think about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know you are stuck on 6x7 but 645 might work if you like that type of aspect ratio. If you print to the long side the improvement is only from 6 to 7cm. Cameras like the Mamiya 645 are fairly light, cheap, lots of lenses and take more negatives per roll of film. I've made some nice 11x14's off my Fuji 645.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you to everyone for your helpful suggestions. Thanks to a local Utah Apugger, I have purchased a really pretty Pentax 67 kit! I'm very exited, and can't wait to get out and try it out! It's bulky, but not as heavy as I thought it would be, although I may have to start using the big camelback for our outings! Anyway, thank you everyone, thank you local Utah Apugger (I won't divulge your identity unless you say it's ok) and if anyone has any advice on using it, tips, tricks, etc, please let me know!
    Thanks so much!
    Julie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Julie - Good luck with your new (to you) camera. Have fun with that Pentax!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by yardkat View Post
    Thank you to everyone for your helpful suggestions. Thanks to a local Utah Apugger, I have purchased a really pretty Pentax 67 kit! I'm very exited, and can't wait to get out and try it out! It's bulky, but not as heavy as I thought it would be, although I may have to start using the big camelback for our outings! Anyway, thank you everyone, thank you local Utah Apugger (I won't divulge your identity unless you say it's ok) and if anyone has any advice on using it, tips, tricks, etc, please let me know!
    Thanks so much!
    Julie
    Hope you have a lot of pleasure out of your new "Texas Leica", and make good use of your husband to help you carry it.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I thing it´s perfectly right to go for any Pentax 67, I´ve got two and used them handheld with much sucess, they are so heavy they don´t vibrate much. As a matter of fact, just handholding dampens much of the vibrations. Whatever scientists say, its the reality that matters, ie getting sharp pictures. Of course, try to keep your shutterspeeds high enough for handheld, never slower thas focal length of your lens, 60 is the slowest for a 55 mm handheld and som on.
    But just go out and se for yourself!
    Patrik Paulsson, Gothenburg, Sweden

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin