Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,204   Online: 842

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Remember that a 6x7 camera has a much larger negative area than a 6x4.5 camera, so you'll need a longer lens to get the same coverage on the negative with the 6x7. I'm not sure off the top of my head exactly what a 6x4.5 equivalent of a 600mm lens on a 6x7 camera would be, but it would certainly be less than 600mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David pretty well summed it up. I knew someone who took decent bird photos and he tended to used 500 and 600 lenses on Nikon 35mm. I remember that most of the time they were manually focused.

One option you might consider if budget is really tight is the old Tamron 300mm f2.8 SP - it is still a very good lens and the fast aperture makes focus easier to see and allows more teleconverter options. It frequently sells well under $1000.

If you think autofocus is important, the old Nikon 16A TC works on some Nikon film bodies. You need to manual focus the lens close to the right range and the TC could focus a limited amount in that range. On the Tamron, it would give you a 480 mm f4. I don't think the TC is quite as sharp as the best TCs but I seem to remember on actual slides it was pretty good.

Martin

(that said, I have seen Keith Logan's beautiful contrast masked Cibachrome bird prints from large transparencies and know that it can be done without 35mm equipment. You have to see them in person to fully appreciate them. However, I think Keith has extraordinary patience to wait in a blind for the right moment.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin