Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,461   Online: 758

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanasis View Post
    Cutting the filter off sounds very drastic (I've never heard of it being done, by the way) and I can be fairly confident in saying that your lens will not survive the operation unscathed. Try warmer temerature. The grittiness you observe is fairly common to bayonet filters. Unless it sounds like its really wrecking the bayonet mount its probably nothing to worry about. I would try using warmer temp to get things to expand and possibly loosen up.
    I think I had read somewhere that cutting the filter off was a possibility, if filter wrenches and the "usual" techniques don't work, but I definitely cannot vouch for that (nor do I remember exactly where I read it).

How warm do you think I should get it to? It's currently late summer here in Montreal, with the daytime temperature ranging between 20 to 30 Celsius. I shudder at the thought of putting my lens in the oven to get it even warmer!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    I would take it to an authorized repair person to have it removed. It sounds like the camera was dropped with the filter mounted and one of the little dovetails was crimped over the corresonding lug on the filter.
    I was afraid of that possibility, although I must say that there is no evidence that the lens or camera were ever dropped, and I don't see any evidence of impact marks on the lens or the filter.

I believe that David Odess has a good reputation for all things Hasselblad, but I was wondering if anyone knows of someone in Montreal (or Canada, for that matter) who might be able to handle such a repair?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fong View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knows of someone in Montreal (or Canada, for that matter) who might be able to handle such a repair?
    Does anyone in Montreal have Hassleblad equipment for rent? If there is anyone, they will know who to send it to (or be able to do it themselves).

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the lens facing away from you, it tightens to the left, loosens to the right.
    I face this situation regularly, as my 80 has a damaged front. The fit of Hasselblad filters is very precise, it's not unlikely that either your filter, or the lens has some damage. Another possiblity is some corrosion if the filter has been in place for a long time. I would try applying some penetrating lubricant to the seam between the lens and the filter with a tiny brush, then give it some time to work it's way in. Don't use more than a couple drops worth, if you have a spotting brush you can sacrafice that would be ideal.

The filter turns about an inch from fully-locked to loose, but the point that you can lift the filter off starts about 6 or 8 mm shy of where it stops when you turn it fully to the right. At the full right position, the bayonet's catch again slightly so you need to be just shy of that point.

Once you can get it to turn an amount that seems suffcient, then work at pulling the filter straight off. Sliding a knife edge into the seam in a few places around the circumference may help as a last resort. Don't twist or pry with it, the thinner the better. I used an X-acto blade (Very carefully!!), it can only go in by less than a mm or so.

If you have another filter, you can use it on the front to get a better idea of how everything works, just be careful in fitting it. If the lens ring is damaged, it can distort the aluminum ring of the filter that's there, and transmit the tight fit.

I've not dealt with David Odess personally, yet, but I understand he is pretty good about giving advice, try calling or emailing him for some pointers, or references to someone around Montreal.

Barry
    Last edited by bdial; 08-26-2008 at 09:27 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarification

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanasis View Post
    There are no threads. It is a bayonet type mount.

Oops, missed that.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Barry,

Thanks for the detailed tips on removing the filter! Although I have not yet tried the penetrating lubricant (and I have to admit I'm reluctant to screw things up even more than they seem to be), the filter still will not budge much, so I've sent David Odess an email... hopefully he can provide some insight!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keep the lube away from the camera! AWAY FROM THE CAMERA!
    If the filter turns 3CM it should lift off. See above "turns about an inch".
    I agree about a thin knife edge at the seam between filter & lens & gently pry upwards. Use something like an X-Acto knife. I'd suggest also that you do the prying at several places around the circumference. Just inserting the edge of the blade will probably be enough.
    If it feels gritty, I'd give it a good cleaning once you get the filter off. The way the filter & retaining ring are made there should be NO gritty feeling as you rotate the filter, they should be buttery smooth. If they're not something has been introduced into the joint(sand,grit) it really doesn't take much
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Just received an email from David Odess regarding my problem.. To sum up, he recommends no lubrication whatsoever and that perhaps one of the filter mounts is damaged (therefore, neither heat nor cold will help in this particular situation).

He also recommended taking the lens to a repair shop where they could try a filter wrench to remove the filter and, failing that, cutting the filter off. He said this would be a last-resort option and can indeed be done without harming the lens.

So, kind of a good-news/bad-news scenario. Considering filter wrenches are fairly cheap, maybe I'll buy one this week and try wrenching the filter loose myself.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    ..also wondering if anyone knows of a good repair shop in Montreal. There are several camera shops here, but I've never had to rely on any of them for repairs before.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    See previous posts on filter wrenches. They often can fail to perform properly on non-screw threaded filters. The tendancy is to turn too far and harm either the filter or lens.

PE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin