Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,608   Online: 760

Shooter
    Instant Films

I just got a Kodak 3A camera...

I just got this camera from my grandparents and I'd really like to be able to shoot some photos with it.

It says I need to use A-122 film. Is there any way to still get this film? Or any way to modify the camera to use film that is still available? Basically I just want to learn all the steps I need to take to use this camera. Is it even possible to still use this camera? I'm not sure. Any help or tips anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also new to the boards, seems like a great place, thanks guys!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You can use 120 film which would then make the camera a panoramic type.
    The camera takes post card sized photos originally ..good for making post cards.

Just do some searches under
    3A camera
    3A modification
    3A Panoramic

Not difficult to do at all
    All you essentially need to do is make the 120 film spool longer so that the film can be held in place over the film rails.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    122 film can be purchased from Film For Classics.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I made a mask for the film that is basically a 6 by(not quite)14 format from aluminum flashing, cut from a roll so that it has a certain arch to it. I then hot glued a few fiber washers to the take-up reel to center the 120 film as it rolled through. A plastic reel from 120 film, cut in half and placed inside-out as spacers for the end of the camera that takes the new roll and I was all set. The winding is a bit tricky, but I had a sacrificial roll of 120 that I ran through with the back off, marking exposures and counting windings. I don't use the camera much, but it is certainly usable and I have fun answering questions about it when folks see me haul out this huge folder and start shooting. "Pocket" Kodak, indeed! I would have thought that an unreasonable name if i hadn't owned an old wool overcoat from the 40's. The thing had pockets large enough to carry a laptop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3A1web.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    I made a mask for the film that is basically a 6 by(not quite)14 format from aluminum flashing, cut from a roll so that it has a certain arch to it. I then hot glued a few fiber washers to the take-up reel to center the 120 film as it rolled through. A plastic reel from 120 film, cut in half and placed inside-out as spacers for the end of the camera that takes the new roll and I was all set. The winding is a bit tricky, but I had a sacrificial roll of 120 that I ran through with the back off, marking exposures and counting windings. I don't use the camera much, but it is certainly usable and I have fun answering questions about it when folks see me haul out this huge folder and start shooting. "Pocket" Kodak, indeed! I would have thought that an unreasonable name if i hadn't owned an old wool overcoat from the 40's. The thing had pockets large enough to carry a laptop.
    whitey,

you are THE MAN!

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Instant Films
    Thanks for the info. I really want to start a project like this. That Film for Classics website doesnt seem to work to well, the Products page doesnt work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by theta View Post
    Thanks for the info. I really want to start a project like this. That Film for Classics website doesnt seem to work to well, the Products page doesnt work.
    Last time I checked you had to scroll down to the bottom of the page to see anything. Not a good site, but I understand the folks that run the place are OK. I haven't bought anything from them myself.

The 122 film sounds interesting but I have a couple of questions:

1) Development: would you have to manually dip & dunk the film - or does one just assume they'll send it back to Film for Classics to develop it? It's not going to fit in your regular roll film tank, and Walgreens definitely isn't going to deal with it.

2) Enlargement: it would seem that your choices would be to scan it, to make a contact print, or to cut/mask a film holder for your enlarger -it would have to be a 5x7 to get all of it.

Personally, I'd use 120 and make panoramas as Mr. Morange suggested. I've heard of simply inserting plastic wall anchors into the ends of a 120 spool to make it fit. You have to find a wall anchor with a hole about the same size as the "posts" in the camera.

Nathan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin