Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,483   Posts: 1,571,184   Online: 1121

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleijoe View Post
    Rolleiflex TLR beats everything else hands down! Zeiss glass is known throughout the world as the leader in sharpness, and I can frame, focus (checking critical focusing scale on the focusing knob), and get the shot in around 30sec or less. Zeiss is god when it comes to glass. Planar, or Xenotar. Even Tessars give beautifully sharp results.

Rolleijoe
    Errrr, righhhhht. Don't ever shoot your Rollei next to a Mamiya 6/7 - it might upset you. Those TLRs can be darned quiet though, just like a Mamiya 6/7 and far quieter than a Leica M.

Also hate to say that the sharpest LF lens I own/owned, is a Nikkor 90 SW f8, by a hair.

I love German lenses, but Hassleblad did not start using Fuji glass on their H series etc because they were prepared to put up with rubbish....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by emanded View Post
    Any views on the sharpest hand held MF set up?
    I have an Xpan which I use for 35mm - very sharp. I also have a Mamiya RZ system that I use for tripod work. What I'm looking for is something to fill the gap as I sometimes need to print 12x16 or above and the 35mm loses a little when enlarged over this size - especially if the frame is cropped.
    I need to be able to take it anywhere and use mostly hand held.
    The theoretical answer to your question must be an Alpa:
    http://www.alpa.ch/index.php?path=home
    Whether you would see any practical gain over. say, a Mamiya 7 in exchange for the stupendous price of the Alpa only you can decide!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth View Post
    Errrr, righhhhht. Don't ever shoot your Rollei next to a Mamiya 6/7 - it might upset you. Those TLRs can be darned quiet though, just like a Mamiya 6/7 and far quieter than a Leica M.

Also hate to say that the sharpest LF lens I own/owned, is a Nikkor 90 SW f8, by a hair.

I love German lenses, but Hassleblad did not start using Fuji glass on their H series etc because they were prepared to put up with rubbish....
    I have done the Rollei test against the Mamiya 7 test a few times. Both with the 80mm lens using a tripod and the Mamiya lens was not better. I can't say it was worse either. But there seems something odd about the Mamiya tonality in my tests. The Rollei has a beautiful feel to it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I go with any TLR. I have a Rollei which I like very much.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have both a Rollei 3.5F 12/24 Planar and a Mamiya 7II. Both are extremely sharp. I use the Mamiya 7II much more frequently and particularly on a tripod with the Kirk L bracket which allows for switching from horizontal to vertical without incident. The Mamiya 7 lenses are some of the sharpest ever designed for medium format; I have the 43mm, 50mm, 65mm, and the 150mm lenses. Very small, light, compact, and quite system. But it does have some limitations for close focusing, usage with the supplementary finders for the 43mm and 50mm lenses, smaller finder for 150mm (without the 150mm supplementary finder), lack of DOF preview, inaccurate markings on the lens barrels for hyperfocal (off by about 2 stops), difficulty in using grad filters, but doable, etc.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin