Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,335   Online: 839

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Wireless shutter release for older cameras

Hi all,

As a way of reigniting my interest in MF photography, I want to be able to hoist a Minolta Autocord into the air, stabilize it, then fire the shutter.

I assumed that, in today's wireless world, a wireless shutter release would be available. They certainly exist for newer digital cams, but so far I've found nothing to fit the older universal fitting on my cameras.

Any ideas?

Monty

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, you could build one yourself. The electronics aren't that hard to master. You might even find plans for something similar on the web. You'll need a radio transmitter piece, a receiver piece, and a relay/spring that can drive a small metal pole hard enough to trip the shutter.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    It is easy and not very expensive to buy a air release that can be fired from 20 feet which should fiy your Autocord.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think the best and probably cheapest solution witld be looking into making one for yourself.

I've thought about doing it just today too. Sparked by this gem of a find:

http://www.draganfly.com/uav-helicopter/draganflyer-x6/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have lots of little kids running around the house with RC cars and if I needed a remote camera release I think the easiest would be to tear out the steering servo and reciever from a cheapo RC car. Hook up the steering servo to push the shutter button or shutter release cable.

Another possibility would be a timer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I have lots of little kids running around the house with RC cars and if I needed a remote camera release I think the easiest would be to tear out the steering servo and reciever from a cheapo RC car. Hook up the steering servo to push the shutter button or shutter release cable.

Another possibility would be a timer.
    Hmmm..... the RC car servo is a great idea.

Where I'm heading with this: there's an incredible wilderness area near here. Trying to capture it on film is what got me into photography.

But every time I shoot there, I find myself on the edge of a canyon thinking that the perfect shot is 100' out from the edge and 50' above the floor of the canyon. So I wanna figure out how to get a camera there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An Air Cable Release should do the trick.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_pro...t_id=&pid=3231

They're great for self portraits also.
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have built one using an old RC airplane controller and servo. Mine operates a mechanical cable release which of course is usable with any shutter that can be tripped with a cable release.

Takes a good bit of trial and error to get the actuation just right and in a small package. Mine would be pretty heavy for use in a small RC controled aircraft but for the right kite it would be usable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Monty;

Another group that might have some ideas for this is the Kite Aerial Photography group. Using a large and stable kite, or a large balloon or kytoon, it will be fairly easy to get the vantage point you want. There are even ways to aim the camera by remote control. The KAP guys have done quite a bit in this realm. I am away from home right now, and I do not have any of my resources at hand to quote for you. Please try loading Kite Aerial Photography into a search engine. If it does not work, let me know, and I will send it to you.

By the way, we do have your namesake city here in Washington. A slight variation in spelling with an "e" substituted for the "y," but it is there.
    Last edited by Ralph Javins; 08-30-2008 at 01:30 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: I left out a word
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I think the best and probably cheapest solution witld be looking into making one for yourself.

I've thought about doing it just today too. Sparked by this gem of a find:

http://www.draganfly.com/uav-helicopter/draganflyer-x6/
    I think you may find the "shock mount" a little lacking for your needs. Also check on the payload capacity to see if it will haul the camera that you want. These are mainly designed around little digital devices. You can probably find more info from users at http://www.rcgroups.com or one of the aerial photography forums. They are fairly expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin