Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,928   Posts: 1,522,161   Online: 1038

View Poll Results: *PLEASE READ POST FIRST* Which camera would you rather use?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mamiya RZ67

11 13.41%
  • Mamiya 7II

52 63.41%
  • Other. (Feel free to suggest anything other than 645.)

19 23.17%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    autumnjazz ...
    mamiya7 wide lenses are among the finest and better than mamiya rz/rb ones at least in the wide section...
    i would also concider a 50mm lens on mamiya7, a better and more versatile overall lens i think ... i can understand that 65mm will not be wide enough, more likely it can be consideered as normal lens for mamiya7, but 50 is wide enough and not too much wide ... there is hardly any limitations with 50mm lens (as wide lens), from portrait, reportage to architecture etc ...

well mamiya rz+50 can be nice if u need all rz system, or if u really prefer the weist-level finder and dont like viewfinder/rangefinder
    and ya, though not a modern camera, but mamiya330 is also an option. when in university, i used an old 220 for some time, the quality of the lens was not like modern lenses (rz or 7) but i think 330 later lenses are substantially better. still the thing was/is a weist-level finder ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the RZ so this opinion isn't jaded....I'd use the 7 for your type of photography. Didn't Eisenstadt use a rangefinder for his Life images? He's well known around the world for his photographs.

also: what the heck is wrong with the 645 Pro???? I carried that around Europe a few years ago and loved it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're doing street photography, forget the RZ. It would be like trying to play golf with a baseball bat. Wrong tool for the job.
    There are many things an RZ is good for, but shooting handheld on the street is not one of them.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use both systems... when I want to get close in portraits or small details, it's the RZ all the way. When I am looking at a broader view of the world, I pick up the Mamiya 7 with either the 80 or 65mm which are wide enough for my vision.

It's a little hard to answer the question as to which I prefer...they're both great for my different moods!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You may want to consider a 645 SLR if this is your first foray into MF. The 645 neg is about 2,7x the area of a 35mm neg, so you'll see a huge improvement in tonality and detail. The Bronica ETRSi is an excellent system, and the leaf shutter lenses flash sync at all speeds. And you can get your feet wet for very little money. If money isn't an issue, the Mamiya 7 is superb - light, quiet, and amazing lenses. It's just not as versatile as an SLR.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been fascinated with the prospects on interchangable lenses on the C330 cameras since I saw them first in the 70s. I have never used them but would choose them because of the curiosity factor. Also, the other two mentioned are 6x7cm format, that I don't like as much as 6x6.

Shooter
    35mm
    By use, I meant picked up and shot the shutters a few times. No film, no printing.

I just don't have a desire for 645. I don't know why.

I was pretty set on the RZ67...24 vs. 1 is now making me realize it would probably be a bad idea for me to get the RZ67. I would probably never end up using it because of the weight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnJazz View Post
    By use, I meant picked up and shot the shutters a few times. No film, no printing.

I just don't have a desire for 645. I don't know why.

I was pretty set on the RZ67...24 vs. 1 is now making me realize it would probably be a bad idea for me to get the RZ67. I would probably never end up using it because of the weight.
    It's important you decide for yourself. In the OP, you said you preferred the RZ. I love mine, and it's an altogether more versatile system, if a bit heavier. Maybe rent each for a weekend, and see how you like them?

Shooter
    Large Format
    When I compared 645 to 67, it felt more like 35mm vs. large format. I still get fantastic results from 645 (and only load 35mm into my little ansco memo rf). On the upside, you get more frames per roll and the cameras are generally smaller. 66 is basically 645 to me as I don't print square and end up cropping anyway.

I'd get a used 7 and a used RB, you'd have the best of both worlds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't feel able to vote as I haven't used a Mamiya 7 - I've used both a 645 and have had an RZ for nearly five years. I still love the RZ. It can be used in many ways, as many ways as you have the head and will to try - I rarely use it with a tripod these days, only for still life, and happily used it hand-held, even for quite spontaneous shots. You won't get them all, though, mainly because of the focus. You won't be discreet, either.

For street photography, there's a lot to be said for lighter & freer, and a rangefinder would be very attractive for me (sorry, rz, pains me to say it...). On a sidenote I love the Agfa Billy Record (1935-ish) that I've been using at the moment, which is 6 x 9 - both the large negs and lack of mirror slap. If I were into street photography (I'm not, really) I'd be keen to give it a go with this, mainly for the fun factor (and if the focus was fixed!). If you like to shoot fast, though (and often) the fewer negs per roll for 6 x 7 - let alone 6 x 9 - might become an issue. I'd also be considering a Leica or a good Nikon if it were me and possibly keep the MF for slightly more considered work (sorry, digression perhaps).

As various posters have said, the only way is to try them out - with film but more importantly doing what you want to do with it for a couple of hours. I would also borrow or rent whatever you interested in, then decide. Good choices though - you'd certainly find a use for them one way or another!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin