Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,954   Posts: 1,558,031   Online: 1116

View Poll Results: *PLEASE READ POST FIRST* Which camera would you rather use?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mamiya RZ67

11 13.41%
  • Mamiya 7II

52 63.41%
  • Other. (Feel free to suggest anything other than 645.)

19 23.17%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Mamiya vs. Mamiya

Mamiya RZ67 Pro II w/ 50mm and light meter
    vs.
    Mamiya 7II w/ 43mm lens

Which would you rather use/have, and why?

I am sorry if the mods consider this third thread of mine spam, please delete it if so. I just like to hear people's opinions.

Note: I am young and strong, and the 7-odd-pounds that the RZ67 would be doesn't really impose too much on me. I used both at a photo store, and liked them both a lot, although I must say I REALLY liked the RZ67, whereas I only really liked the 7, compared to a 'blad. I currently shoot a Nikon F100 in manual mode with TTL-metering, so all-manual is going to be a big change for me. Also, I shoot slide film and my favorite type of photography is street photography, so correct exposure is important. (I'll switch to negs if you can show me a color neg like Kodachrome or Velvia.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since you said you would use it for street photogy I would recommend the Mamiya 7II. The RZ would be great for portraits and still life work.
    My $0.02 worth, which may be jaded seeing that I use a Fuji GW670 II.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For street photography, then hands down the Mamiya 7II. It's exposure system is pretty good, and the fact you have rangefinder handling, which is super fast, not really intrusive and you can work quickly. An RZ system really is for when you have more time and need to really see the entire image on ground glass prior to exposing film. While it could be done, the RZ is not really anything but a tripod only proposition. Not really suited for quick grab/street shots. This is the reason I keep my mamiya 6 and also have a blad system for when I need the ability to compose more thoroughly, and for when I need close ups... Something that the Mamiya 6 and 7 are not really suited for. For everything else, they are absolutely great cameras, and I would say sharper than their SLR counterparts due to the symmetrical lens designs, and lack of retrofocus requirement like on SLRs to avoid the mirror. That said, it all boils down to your own preference and what you shoot most. For me, I like the square format so I am lucky to have both a Mamiya 6, and a Blad which are great systems that can cover most situations. My Mamiya 6 goes with me when I need to travel light and work fast, and the Blad for when I need greater control on composition... YMMV
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Having used both, what made me go with the Mamiya 7II was the light weight. This decision was made after lugging the RZ67 around in 95+ heat plus humidity some number of years ago.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you want to shoot closeups?

Do you want to shoot portraits or studio shots?

Do you want 6x8 as an option?

Would you like to have a digital back as an option?

Would you like really wide, or really long lenses to be an option?

You've stated that you like the RZ67 - buy a used one and try it out.

If it turns out the Mamiya 7 will be better for you, you can probably sell your RZ67 for close to what you paid for it.

If it were me, I'd buy an RB67, and the lenses I wanted. If it turns out that the RZ67 would be better, my lenses could still be used.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the weight of the RZ isn't an issue then the choice is obvious. A 5x7 or maybe a lightweight 8x10 -)The RZ is in that weight class. What it does it does very well. But it is a huge beast.

Shooter
    Large Format
    For street photography and quick, off the cuff shots i'd definitely go with the 7. For tabletop, closeup and most other things i'd go with an RZ. The 7 can almost fit in a big coat pocket, the RZ will serve as a weapon if you swing it hard enough at someone.

Shooter
    35mm

Mamiya 7II

For street photography and travel, definitely the 7. For everything else, the RZ. Have used both and from own experience, I would say if you were just buying one, go for the 7. Gary (London)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My favorite Mamiya's are the Mamiya 6, love these cameras for street photography and the Mamiya C330 twin reflex camera...lighter weight and smaller than the RB or RZ and they allow closer focusing than the Mamiya 7 or 6.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For street, I'd say the 7II, but when you say you tried both in a camera shop, did you actually shoot film and print the results? I mean, they're both great cameras with fine lenses, but picking up a rangefinder camera and looking through the finder doesn't tell you anything about the lenses, and that's the main attraction of the 7II, in my opinion.

You can rent them. Check with Calumet or Lens and Repro, and you could do a weekend rental for the one day cost, and see what works better for you in practice and which gives you better results, with the caveat that if you haven't used a rangefinder camera before, there's a bit of a learning curve there in learning to use the DOF scale, and eventually to pre-visualise the DOF in your head.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin