Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,081   Online: 973

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

rz-rb adapter... cheap...

So I picked up an rz pro2... nice. I also recently got the rz tilt & shift gizmo.

I have a complete rb67 pro sd system, that I still love for various reasons, and I wanted to adapt the rz t&s gizmo to the rb. I noticed that the lens caps are very robust, so... I decided to try making an adapter. What you see in the one photo is the t&s adapter mounted on the rb via my adapter, with a 210 rb lens on front. In the other photo you see the adapter itself. It is very strong and *professionally manufactured*

To make the adapter, you just superglue a body cap to a rear lens cap and bore out the middle on a lathe. Presto.

Bear in mind that you will lose infinity focus with this adapter (if you didn't already by not using rz short-barrel lenses). But for my macro purposes, it's just the thing.

Next I am thinking to adapt the t&s gizmo to my 645 afd.

Pardon the cellphone photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rb_tiltnshift.jpg   rbrzadapter.jpg  
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm curious as to why you need an adapter if you have a Pro SD body. Since the Pro SD has the same size opening as the RZ, the t&s should mount onto the SD body just fine without any adapter.

How are you cocking and firing the lens with the adapter (I assume you are using the mirror up cable release socket on the lens and turning the pins on the back of the lens by hand)? Personally, I wouldn't trust super glue with the lens hanging on it. I would have used epoxy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Max, the rz t&s adapter doesn't fit the rb, it has basically the same rear mount as an rz, i.e. two pins that prevent mounting on the rb. And I don't care to permanently modify the t&s adapter, nor my precious rb

The super glue I used is epoxy.... super glue is just the company / brand name:

http://superglue.supergluecorp.com/cat_epoxies.html

Note to anyone thinking of using this Advanced Technology with other cameras: if your camera doesn't have bellows focusing, then you will of course need helicoidal focus on the lens... and AFAIK the only rb/rz lenses with helicoidal focusing are the 100-200 zooms. So in other words this doesn't seem a good general solution for a 645, though enterprising minds will find a way....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I modified the pins of a RZ67 1.4x adapter to work with an RB67 and it only took 5 minutes (see http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/5...-fit-rb67.html). I'm 99% certain t does not affect any functionality whatsoever on an RZ -- the pins are there only to prevent an RZ lens to be mounted on an RB. Note that I kept the pins and can always superglue them back if I ever decide to sell it.

Cheers
    J Michael Sullivan
    Editor/Publisher, MAGNAchrom
    www.magnachrom.com

...SOMETIMES I SEE THINGS...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I saw that! Indeed I will try it, thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAGNAchrom View Post
    I modified the pins of a RZ67 1.4x adapter to work with an RB67 and it only took 5 minutes (see http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/5...-fit-rb67.html). I'm 99% certain t does not affect any functionality whatsoever on an RZ -- the pins are there only to prevent an RZ lens to be mounted on an RB. Note that I kept the pins and can always superglue them back if I ever decide to sell it.

Cheers

Okay, just de-pinned the RZ t&s adapter, and indeed it works fine on the rb now with no other adapter. It also still seems to work fine on the rz. So... thanks for the tip!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin