Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,684   Online: 881

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you for the link, Edwardv -- a question for you or anyone:

Is there a difference, for my humble little SQ-Ai, between a 120-I, 120, and 120-B back?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure I can spell out exact differences, but I believe the I is the only one that interacts with the autoexposure stuff.

I only have an SQ-A so it hasn't mattered here.

DaveT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would go with all Ai magazines for my camera. It has the locking dark slide which is very nice to have. The older magazines don't have this feature and can be be very disastrous it you pull accidentally or gets caught on something and the dark side is pulled out. Best to get the Ai and buy additional Ai dark sides with the lock for all Ai magazine. And DWThomas is correct that the AEIII meter is the choice for the Ai magazines.

Good luck

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The 120-I has the film speed dial on it and it electronically interfaces with a metered finder (such as the AE). If you only use a waistlevel or other non-metered finder, you don't need the 120-I, but it won't hurt anything if you use it. The plain 120 back has no electronic film speed interface. Other than that, there's no real difference between the two.

The 120-B I thought was for the SQ-B series, not the SQ-A, but I could be wrong.
    "Photograph more, worry less"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kerwin View Post
    The 120-B I thought was for the SQ-B series, not the SQ-A, but I could be wrong.
    Again, I don't own one, but I think it fits everything, but like the B body, it has no wires. My understanding is the SQ-B was supposed to have been a stripped down low cost manual exposure student model kit to offset the significant price of the SQ-Ai.

Sorry about all the weasel-y qualifiers, but it's been a while since I researched the stuff and I only do the SQ-A.

DaveT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    Is there a difference, for my humble little SQ-Ai, between a 120-I, 120, and 120-B back?
    The differences are:
    120 : has the ISO dial on the top of the back.
    120-I : has the ISO dial on the back of the back, so its easier to see and adjust when the camera has a prism attached, it also has a was of adjusting the exposure +/- in 1/3 stops
    120-B : doesn't have an ISO dial or connectors

Otherwise they are basically identical, and can be used on any sq series camera.

I've got an SQ-A and I use both 120 & 120-I backs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Great stuff, e-homer!

My SQ-Ai is totally manual, I don't use the meter or put batteries in it. And those regular backs on KEH were priced pretty nicely.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    Great stuff, e-homer!

My SQ-Ai is totally manual, I don't use the meter or put batteries in it. And those regular backs on KEH were priced pretty nicely.
    Are you only shooting at 1/500 sec? If you don't have batteries in the camera, it will only fire at 1/500 sec. The shutter speeds are controlled electronically in all Bronica SQ series cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It is an SQ-Ai, but they must be some long-lived batteries if that's the case. I bought it third-hand, and they've never been changed.

Shutter speeds are accurate (as the finicky TMax100 rolls attest).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin