Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,538   Posts: 1,544,278   Online: 811

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Mamiya RB67 90mm Lens loose?

Hello,
    I just purchased an RB67 off of fleabay and I have a question about the lens. The aperture ring and the shutter ring seem to have abnormal looseness to them. They very easily rock back and forth with slight pressure. Is this normal for this lens. I took a few test polaroids with it and didn't notice anything unusual other then the massive light leaks! Thanks

Tony

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No, they should both have click stops. The aperture has clicks for every third of an f-stop (I think) and the shutter speed has clicks for every stop. At least that's how it is on my 127mm.
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Koda. It has the click stops, that's not what I am referring to. If you grab the shutter ring and aperture ring and rock them towards the front of camera and then towards the back of the camera..... do they move? Mine do

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sorry, I misunderstood. No, mine do not move a bit. Sounds like there's a problem.
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope you can return it. Normally that is a good lens.

Jeff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yeah I can return it, but I paid $25 shipping to get it here and likely the same to send it back. That is the one thing I hate about flea-bay. I guess that is the risk I take.

Thanks for the help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How the hell much did you pay for it?!

Always... let me repeat... always check KEH before buying used equipment off EBay. And 25 bucks to ship a lens? From Australia?

Throw it the heck away and save the money towards another good 90mm lens.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a similar problem - my 90mm lens was busted on arrival. Blame USPS for that. I ordered one from KEH in mid-july, and paid 20-odd dollars in shipping to South Australia, and it only arrived here a week ago. As good as KEH is, it seems their basic shipping option is fairly slow, internationally anyway. They're cheap as anything right now though, I wouldnt expect to pay more than $100 for a decent example of the original 90/3.8 (The C and KL versions of course fetch a tad extra, not that much though.)
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToFlo View Post
    Yeah I can return it, but I paid $25 shipping to get it here and likely the same to send it back. That is the one thing I hate about flea-bay. I guess that is the risk I take.

Thanks for the help.
    It shouldn't cost you $25 to return it. Probably around $8-9. You got charged a "handling" fee by the seller.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Did you order the lens from over seas? If not, then you got gouged with an exorbitant handling charge. If you payed with PayPal, you can get all your money back including the shipping/hanling charge (even if the seller says in their listing that they don't refund shipping charges). Just file a 'not as described' dispute with PayPal (file the dispute on the PayPal site, not on eBay). When you file a dispute with PayPal, they put a hold on the sellers account for the entire amount. I had a seller refuse to refund the shipping charges once. Even though they had refunded the selling price, I still filed a dispute for the shipping charge with PayPal and won. Also, if you paid with a credit card, you can dispute the charge. If you haven't already left feedback, you can threaten the seller with negative feedback.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin