Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,984   Online: 843

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Best MF set up for macro.

Hi everybody,

I've got this little macro project bouncing around in my head, and I'd like to shoot it on MF. The only camera I have except the 6x17 that shoots MF is the Mamiyaflex, which isn't exactly my first choice for attempting macro stuff, and my busted Kiev (no speeds under 1/30) I have extension tubes for the Kiev, but I would need to get it fixed, and I don't know if that would be worth it or not. Any favorite set ups? I can't break the bank.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    One of the best is the Rolleiflex SL66. In addition to bellows that rack out for 1:2, you can also reverse the lens to get 2:1 magnification.

This camera works best on a tripod, which is what you would want to do if you're shooting macro.

As far as breaking the bank, inexpensive is a bit of a relative term. What's your budget?

The Rolleiflex SL66 with the f/2.8 80mm Planar will run from $550 to $800. Other lenses are very expensive.

Another choice might be the Praktisix or Pentacon Six with extension tubes. The cameras seem to sell for about $200-$250.
    Last edited by elekm; 09-04-2008 at 11:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You already have 4x5 right? How about a roll film back, 6x7 or 6x9? Maybe a little tough with some field or press cameras, but a studio monorail would do nicely.

Any more info on reproduction ratio, need for movements, etc?

Lee

Shooter
    Large Format
    For macro I use a 4x5 crown graphic with 135 optar fully racked out but if you need MF, maybe you could get a 6x7 roll film back for your crown?

Also, I know it's not the prettiest solution but what about hacking a lens extension tube onto a board so that you could use your kiev behind your crown? You'd get a lot of extension, could shoot MF through the kiev and could just set the kiev to bulb and use a shuttered lens on the crown.
    I've no experience with real macro lenses, but i've shot a lot of things close up with a 135 optar and it works well for my style.

Otherwise my vote would be an RB/RZ.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The ultimate macro machine, IMHO, is the mamiya rb67. Almost everything that counts against the rb for quick street work (big, heavy, bellows focusing, fully mechanical) becomes a pro for macro. I use it with all manner of lenses for macro, from fisheye to 360 with various extra tubes. It's a weapon for macro, I tell you. Now with my rz tilt 'n shift gizmo adapted to it, it's even more so. My next choice is the rz. I did use a fuji gx680 once and I think that would also be a strong contender, though I am not as familiar with the lens family and I am a big fan of batteryless operation when I am working with a camera for hours on end.

P.S. The rb is also veeery inexpensive. Just be sure to get a dual cable release... and why not get a metering prism too, which is very convenient for macro.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks guys, lots of food for thought already. The objects I'm thinking of shooting would be 1:1 or larger and enlarged to 10x10 (if square) I know I could do it with 35mm, but I also know I will like the results of 120 better, and I'm flat out better at handling MF in the darkroom. I'm not terribly concerned about movements,but perhaps the Crown might be the ticket if I could find a roll film back that fits the Graphlock. I don't want to shoot sheets as I want to shoot in a manner that gives me a lot to choose from, rather than the methodical plodding the sheet film enforces. I want to shoot enough and loose enough in the approach to occasion some happy accidents. Rut busting I guess.

Shooter
    Large Format
    RZ67 with extension tubes. Talk to me about it saturday.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    rb67 with extension tubes. no guesswork on exposure compensation, dirt cheap these days, and superior optics. I don't thing there is another option in it's class. Use two single cable releases instead of one expensive double.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get a paramender for the Mamiyaflex, use a wide angle to normal lens, and "make out like a bandit".

Matt

P.S. what does "make out like a bandit" really mean????

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

SL66

Like elekm, I would say that the SL66 is the ultimate medium format camera for macro work, especially if combined with the S-Planar. What else should I recommend

greetz, Benjamin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin