Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,947   Posts: 1,557,851   Online: 800

Shooter
    35mm

Mamiya 645 film advance problem/question

Hi,

I just received a used Mamiya 645 1000s that I bought on eBay. I'm very disappointed in the condition of this camera, but I've got two real show-stopper problems: First, the film doesn't seem to advance. The camera came with two 220 inserts and no 120 inserts, so I tried loading 120 film in the 220 insert, but the frame advance counter didn't move when I advanced the film crank. I opened the back and saw that the film was still set at its starting position. the gears in the camera body that appear designed to connect to the gears in the film insert don't seem to move when I turn the crank with the insert removed, either. Is the film-advance mechanism definitely hosed on this camera, or is there some trick I'm missing? Also, the shutter-speed dial seems stuck at 1/60. Again, is there some trick I'm missing?

I'm about 95% sure that this camera is junk, but I just thought I'd post and ask for advice in case I'm missing something. Thanks for any feedback.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've used a 1000s for several years now and have never encountered these problems. The shutter speed dial should rotate freely. One thing to double check re film advance is to ensure that your don't have the little lever on the right hand side set to "multi". Don't think that is your problem though. I think your diagnosis is correct.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use an original 645 not the 1000s model. I think the only difference is the 1/1000 shutter speed.

When I first got my 645, I got fooled by that "Multi" switch thebanana described.

I am not sure if the 120 film will work properly since the 120 film has backing throughout the roll and the 220 only has backing paper at the leader. I took a look at my 220 and 120 inserts and they have different gearing.

I have two 120 inserts and I'll be happy to send one for you to try if you need it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another thing to check is if the battery is OK. Is the Mirror up? I had a battery failure once and the shutter got stuck with the mirror up.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Hi:

If its not the "Multi" switch check the battery. I have a 1000's body that drains batteries in about two weeks. Some times the shutter wouldn't trip properly and the film won't advance. I had the film advance serviced/rebuilt before the battery drain problem. If you need repair parts you can have it for the postage and a couple of bucks to Apug.

George

Shooter
    35mm
    It turns out it was the multi switch, which I noticed a while after posting my query. Thanks for the help. Also, the shutter speed dial does rotate, but I've got to push in on the center to get it to do so. It appears to be designed this way, but that's not how the manual describes it; the manual just says to rotate the dial. I guess this was a minor design change on some models that didn't make it into the manual (or at least not the manual I've got).

Unfortunately, my test roll yielded some completely blank frames and quite variable exposure. It appears that the shutter is running fast at some speeds -- fast enough that little or no light hits the film at speeds of 1/500s and 1/1000s. I guess a CLA would fix that, but I don't know what that'd cost or who'd do it. Any suggestions? Alternatively, any pointers to do-it-yourself sites, if tweaking the shutter speed is something I could reasonably do myself? (I did a similar adjustment successfully on a Kiev 6C using an online guide's help.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just dragged my 1000s out of storage to check it. Yes it is normal to have to push the center of the shutter dial in to change speeds. I also noticed that I left a battery in this body, it's been in storage for 5 years now. Battery check still passes. Stored with waist level finder installed which does not ever draw any power. If you leave the metered finders turned on they will drain the battery in a very short time.

Sorry never read of a way to adjust the shutter timing. But one thing to remember is that the shutter becomes a traveling slit at the faster speeds. At 1/1000 it is a small slit that scans across the film plane, the cumulative effect is 1/1000 on each section of the film, but it takes somewhat longer for the slit to travel from side to side. So getting the speeds set may be a difficult proposition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can fire the shutter with the back open while pointing at a strong light, you can see if the shutter curtains are sticking or out of sync. Just look through the back and try various speeds. You can actually see if you are only getting half a frame or a curtain is not closing all the way. There are usually problems at higher shutter speeds.

The secondary curtain of my 645 sometimes sticks and 1/8 inch of the curtain stays and causes a small band of density on the edge of my negs.

For this test you will have to set the troublesome switch to "Multi"

Shooter
    35mm
    JHannon, the test you described is precisely how I determined that the fast shutter speeds are fubared. I've sent an eBay message to the seller asking for a refund, but no reply so far. The guy seems slimey, though, and I fear I may have to file a complaint with eBay and maybe swallow some loss. Oh, well. I've gotten plenty of bargains on eBay, the occasional bad item is inevitable.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin