Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,712   Online: 923

KPT
    Shooter
    35mm RF

What is the best way to clean a mirror?

I have a Mamiya C330f that has a crudy mirror and was wondering what would be the best way to clean it. Should i go through the top or through the front? What product should i use? Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    I am unfamilar with the mirror in a c330. I would guess though that it is a front surface mirrot and very easy to mar. At the most I would try a little bit of detergent in a lot of water and gently apply with a q-tip.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It depends what is on it. If the reflective surface is in otherwise good condition, you can try a little bit of water with a small amount of dishwashing fluid. Follow up by cleaning the surface with some optical cleaner.

There is undue and unnecessary concern with scratching mirrors. As long as the reflective coating hasn't been damaged, you don't have to worry too much about cleaning. If the coating is in poor condition and flakes off when touched with a wet swab (try this on a corner), then that's something very different, and eventually you will want to replace that mirror.

Remember, the mirror has no role in forming the final image. It simply reflects the scene on to the viewing screen. That's all. Minor scratches (or even a deep scratch) will have little -- if any -- discernible effect on the viewing image.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KPT View Post
    I have a Mamiya C330f that has a crudy mirror and was wondering what would be the best way to clean it. Should i go through the top or through the front? What product should i use? Thanks!
    The same way hedgehogs make love - carefully
    Seriously, I would first try and blow or brush off any loose dirt then wipe any remaining contamination off using a soft swab (ideally something like a sensor cleaning swab not a q-tip) and lens cleaning fluid (use the smallest amount possible to do the job to reduce the chances of staining). As others have said since the viewing image isn't focused at the mirror plane minor coating contamination and damage will not be visible on the ground glass except as a loss of brightness. Any dust you can see will probably be located on the ground glass so you may have to clean that as well.
    The mirror coating is very thin and on the front surface so that is why care is needed to avoid scratching or removing it.
    As to access I'm not familiar with the mechanics on the C330 so whatever works.

KPT
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thank to you everyone for your replies. I would prefer to clean it through the top so i can also clean the ground glass, can i clean the ground glass also? and is there anything special i should do for that? I once heard that the ground glass might be shimmed so should i be worried about removing and cleaning it? Thank you again for all your help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you loosen the screw at the back of the waist level finder, the hood just lifts off, then the focusing screen can be removed by pulling out the little metal tab at the back of the metal frame the screen is in, and lifting the back of it and sliding it towards you. The in the screens C330f are designed to be user interchangeable.
    Ben

KPT
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    If you loosen the screw at the back of the waist level finder, the hood just lifts off, then the focusing screen can be removed by pulling out the little metal tab at the back of the metal frame the screen is in, and lifting the back of it and sliding it towards you. The in the screens C330f are designed to be user interchangeable.

Thank you for your reply, i removed the glass already and cleaned it and the mirror. I have a clean and bright image now. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by KPT View Post
    Thank you for your reply, i removed the glass already and cleaned it and the mirror. I have a clean and bright image now. Thanks!
    Pleased I could help.
    Best wishes, B
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin