Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,125   Online: 939

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I'm sort of a medium format addict, so I'm the wrong person to be weighing in here! But I really don't think you'll regret it if you do get it. Maybe you don't "need" an SLR if you're interested in trying 6x6 format (a TLR is a less pricey alternative), but if the price sounds good, you liked how it handles, and you can swing it financially, then give it a shot. They are about as good as it gets in a medium format SLR, both mechanically and optically. And, I'm sure you can sell it here or elsewhere for close to what you paid for it.

This also happened to me a few years ago -- there was a 500C/M with 120 back, waist level finder and 80 C Planar at my local shop, for $500. I hadn't ever thought I needed a Hasselblad, but at that price I had to have it, of course. I don't regret the acquisition, and I've added a prism finder and a couple of the silver lenses since.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Merritt View Post
    But I really don't think you'll regret it if you do get it.....And, I'm sure you can sell it here or elsewhere for close to what you paid for it.
    I'll add a second to those thoughts. And there are plenty of good deals available on used Hasselblad gear now. For those of us who are still shooting film, that's one benefit of so many people switching to digital. I hereby offer my thanks to all those who have switched to DSLRs! :-)

Gary

Shooter
    35mm
    There is life without a Hassleblad. Actually a fairly pleasing life. You need to keep your mitts off of things that are unsuitable for you such as Sharon Stone and German automobiles etc.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hasselblads are just a pleasure to use. I think it's the way form and function are so simply and smoothly integrated. They stay out of the way nicely when shooting for that reason. I've never felt that I'm struggling with a Hassy to get a shot ... until they act up ... which they can do. They need to be used regularly to stay in shape (much like their owners). So if you'll be using it regularly, I'd say go for it. But if there's any chance that the camera will be sitting on a shelf or in a bag for months on end while you do other things, perhaps a Hassy is not a good choice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brad,

I feel your pain. I shoot primarily 4x5 and all my 35mm gear just takes up storage space. I have a Minolta Autocord that I really like but is doesn't get much use. I picked up a Mamiya 7 with the 65mm lens a little over a month ago at the local pushers shop and boy oh boy was that nice. I picked up an RZ67 at another shop and since I like using a wlf, reminds me of the ground glass, and I decided to get one. I did and though I really like the RZ kit it weighs nearly as much as my 4x5. I think I'll put the RZ up for sale here and put that money towards a Mamiya 7 or, you guessed it, a 500 C/M kit. The Hassei has such mystique but there is no question that the M7 would be lighter. I'm looking for a quality 'scouting' camera that will allow me to make high quality prints and not worry too much about film and processing costs. Let us know what you decide to do.

Scott
    Last edited by scott k; 09-11-2008 at 07:49 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent10D View Post
    They need to be used regularly to stay in shape (much like their owners).
    I hadn't thought of this....a good excuse to take the day off on a photo outing.....got to get out and excercise my Hasselblad!

I wonder if my wife (or boss) will understand.

Gary

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    I hadn't thought of this....a good excuse to take the day off on a photo outing.....got to get out and excercise my Hasselblad!

I wonder if my wife (or boss) will understand.
    If they're Hassy shooters they will!

(Hint: Buy your wife a Hassy for her birthday ... then borrow it. Because it needs the exercise.)
    Last edited by Kent10D; 09-11-2008 at 06:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent10D View Post
    (Hint: Buy your wife a Hassy for her birthday ... then borrow it. Because it needs the exercise.)
    I might have to do that....because at the moment, she's always wanting to borrow mine! Come to think of it, her birthday is at the end of September. I might have to wander over the KEH.com. Thanks for the suggestion Kent!

Gary

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Does every serious film shooter eventually need a hassleblad? What's a guy to do?
    Yup, I really think you need one of these Brad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3388 Hasselblad 501CM & 150mm Sonnar.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Brad,
    I know that you think I am an idiot and that's okay.

But a Hasselblad is a terrific camera that you will simply love.

I've had many systems over the last few years but I have always kept my hasselblad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 448558320_651d225291.jpg  

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin