Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,146   Online: 1003

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Claire: There is life without a Hassleblad. Actually a fairly pleasing life. You need to keep your mitts off of things that are unsuitable for you such as Sharon Stone and German automobiles etc.

I had always wondered if Hasselblads were as great as they were made out to be, and then I finally got my hands on one. Can I assume that the same would be true of Sharon Stone?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Being that I will change swap between adorama and B&H to get 15 cents of a roll of film, I got the TLR.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Medium format replaced 35mm entirely for me. I have a few slr's and a little gaf point five (ansco memo rangefinder) for messing around with. Otherwise it's the hassy (or pentax 645) if i'm out on the go or the speed/crown graphic if i'm not going so far (or if I have time to stop and really take pictures).

A hassy isn't a magic bullet. I kind of thought it was (naively) but i'm glad I purchased mine. I like how it works and find it convenient even with it's quirks. If you can work a speed or crown the hasselblad isn't much different in a sense.

They do look beautiful, particularly the chrome ones with a nice chrome c lens (in my opinion). I frequently cock and fire the shutter as it relaxes me. Also, I use a gentle silver polishing cloth on the trim and the thing is like a fancy piece of jewely and a tool mixed into one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Hasselblad for weddings did a few things. It made you 'a pro' per those who were impressed by the reassurance of seeing you cover the wedding with top quality gear.
    It made putting together proof albums very easy as the 5x5 inch square prints took the horizontal/vertical album page problems out of the equation.

On the other hand, the mirror is big and clunky and really bounces hard making more slow shutter speeds tripod only if you really want them sharp.

Hasselblad itself has admitted the square format was more a gimmick than anything else as all their new stuff, AF an pixelography, is 645 format. They don't even stand behind any of their earlier marketing stuff on the square, pissing on their own heritage.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the comments and advice. I think I'll rent one and see how that goes....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Claire: There is life without a Hassleblad. Actually a fairly pleasing life. You need to keep your mitts off of things that are unsuitable for you such as Sharon Stone and German automobiles etc.

I had always wondered if Hasselblads were as great as they were made out to be, and then I finally got my hands on one. Can I assume that the same would be true of Sharon Stone?
    Thanks to the digital revolution, I can afford a Hassy. If you search for my earlier posts, you will see that I owned a Mamiya C-330 and and did not really enjoy it. I will refrain from bashing the C-330 again.

I shoot about 50 rolls of 35mm color and 15 rolls of 35 mm black and white with my two Nikons. Now that I have a Hassy with four lenses and a 2x extender, I additionally shoot 10 to 15 rolls of black and white and 10 to 15 rolls of color 120.

Carrying the Hassy in a back pack with all the lenses is now part of my fitness program.

Back to Sharon Stone => Sharon while once young and beautiful had bcome a member of SAG. My Hassy have stayed young and beautiful. While I might not pass an opportunity with Sharon, I prefer my time with lower mileage versions.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I liked her in "Total Recall".

noumin
    Hi Brad

Does every serious film shooter eventually need a hassleblad?
    No, of course not, neither will it make you a better photographer.
    Daydreaming about a camera you think you don't need ? Clear symptoms af GAS, and
    when this disease has cought on you, then, I'm sad to say, all hope is lost and
    you will end up spending money you don't have for a camera you don't need, so ...
    enjoy it !

Cheers
    Joerg

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Need... Need... Such a difficult thing to decide.

So consider this: many, many people go from camera system to camera system.
    And i don't mean switching between formats, but going from one MF system to another MF system. You can read lots about that right here, on APUG, too.

People using Hasselblads however tend not to (or no more).
    No need.

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I own almost 40 years a Hasselblad and still dreaming of it.
    And it was always the same 500 C/M untill some months ago.
    I sold it, with pain, and buyed another model the TCC 205.
    This new one is an amazing piece of equipment.
    I'am still (more) happy...
    Last edited by hka; 09-12-2008 at 03:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin