Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,386   Online: 931

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 501CM, and the 503 (i think) has the "sliding mirror" feature, that reduces vignetting with 150 or longer lenses.
    I recently got a 150 for my 500CM, and don't notice the vignetting. After handing a 501 a few months ago, my subjective view is that the 500 seems more robust, in particular, the little "feet" that support the bottom of the magazine look to be thicker on a 500 CM, FWIW. Based on that I'd recommend a 500 C/M, but you might want to be prepared to spend some money on a CLA. Also FWIW, 500 USD seems pretty high for even an ex 500CM body. Last time I looked, KEH had bare ones for 200 or less.

If you want TTL metering, it can be added via a prism, though that prism is probably more costly than a body.

If you go with a waist-level finder, I highly recommend the newer style that is less hassle to fold.

I have a question to pose, is the Accu-Matte screen worth double or more the price of the standard screens? Comments?

Barry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post

I have a question to pose, is the Accu-Matte screen worth double or more the price of the standard screens? Comments?

Barry

It´s worth the investment yes, the Minolta made screens are brighter, therefore, helping you alot in low-light photography situations.

Makes it easier to focus and inspires you to do better photographs.

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The 501CM, and the 503 (i think) has the "sliding mirror" feature
    The 503 CW does indeed, the 503 CX and 503 CXi do not.

After handing a 501 a few months ago, my subjective view is that the 500 seems more robust, in particular, the little "feet" that support the bottom of the magazine look to be thicker on a 500 CM
    Most parts of these cameras are the same. A 501 CM is a 500 C/M with different mirror mechanism, and a few other, rather minor differences.
    The 'structural bits' are the same. Robustness is too.

But yes, all but the later 500 C/Ms have two separate feet, whereas all later 500-series cameras have them joined in a single metal bit.
    The separate two feet construction is in fact the lesser of the two, possibly leading to a wobbly magazine.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Barry
    If not for my Maxwell screen, I couldn't shoot with the Hasselblad....eyes just aren't as good as they once were. I found the Accu-Matte to be just as bright as Maxwell, just a little more money.
    Neal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Barry
    Yes. The old standard 500CM screen truly sucks. It's one of the reasons I traded away my 500ELM.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The old screens are dim, and have a rather coarse structure, but have a more definite focus, and are easier to focus than Acute Matte screens (in both versions). Provided there is enough light.
    Acute Matte screens also not show the out of focus parts as they will appear on film. The plain old diffusing screens will.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    i used a 500cm and since a few months the 501cm.

The 500cm has problems showing the whole picture with my 250mm lens. The 501cm shows the whole pic.
    The bottom of the 501 is somewhat higher with left and right two plastic items that keep the body standing.
    The quick release plate at the bottom on the 501 body is different than the 500 (higher).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the comments re the screens, I certainly agree that the standard screen truly sucks. I currently use a grid/microprism screen in one body, and a split image in another. But the split image is just about useless with the 150. The microprism does ok with the 150, but it's hard to focus in dim and soft light, so I've been curious about finding something brighter.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin