Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,767   Posts: 1,484,169   Online: 883

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Thinking about a Hasselblad

I've never really had much use for medium format. I have, in years past had a few Mamiyas (RB67, C-330) pass through but, nothing ever stayed around long. A couple of days ago, I stopped by my local pusher of used gear and...after much chit-chat, found myself fondling a nice used Hasselblad 501CM (or, was it a C/M ? ). Anyway, ever since I left the store, (empty handed!) I find myself day dreaming about getting a Hasselblad...I don't know why. Maybe, it's the sex apeal? Maybe it's the cool way it feels in the hand.

I don't have any excess cash, I don't shoot medium format, I don't need a Hasselblad...or, is that just so much blasphemy?

Does every serious film shooter eventually need a hassleblad?

What's a guy to do?
    Last edited by BradS; 09-11-2008 at 04:17 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typos.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post

Absolutely, positively, without question, NO!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    Absolutely, positively, without question, NO!
    Well, that's what I always thought too...but, now...I'm not so sure.
    Last edited by BradS; 09-11-2008 at 04:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    What's a guy to do?
    Well If you don't need medium format, stay out it. There's nothing as irritating and limiting as being stretched over too many formats.
    On the other hand if your work really needs a 6x6 slr, I would buy a bronica
    sq-a instead. Just as good, and everything is much cheaper. I've had a hasselblad for more than a year, used it regularly, and it's way overhyped. Of course it's top quality, but the only reason I can see getting one over a bronica is that it has Hasselblad written on it, and some people seem to find that important (not that I imply that you do)

Best Regards
    Mads

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I feel that I need to have any nice sexy camera that I could not afford when I started this hobby, many moons ago. Ah, by the way I ended up with a Hasselblad 500 C/M too... among others
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...Does every serious film shooter eventually need a hassleblad?...
    I assume that's not a Freudian slip: "hassleblad".

But of course they do. Didn't you read all the posts a while back about people asking "is that a Hasselblad?"?

Seriously, you've given medium format a try, it's not your cup of tea, end of story.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have both a "Hassyblad" and RB67. For what little I do with medium format, I reasoned through the question of need and determined that I only "needed" one of them and since I have more lenses for the RB, I decided to sell the Hasselblad and its associated goodies.

Now comes the time for action, or so they say. Taking some pics to put with the sale ad (first on APUG, then FleaBay if need be) and can't bring myself to take photos of the Hasselblad OR the Mamiya. This calls for further thought.

I actually have 3 RBs - two ProfessionalS models and one Professional - OK, I'll keep one ProS and the Hasselblad - the wife will never know. Yeah - right. So I sleep in the spare bedroom for a week - that's OK; she snores.

Don't think about buying one - just do it. You'll love the camera and will never forgive yourself. They're addicting.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Maybe, I can sell all of that 35mm gear that just sits and collects dust, and....well...I guess I'd still be short a bunch of money!

Hmmmm,
    It sure would simplify things though...a Hassy and a Crown Graphic...good-to-go!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Brad,

The answer is no, of course. :-) But need.....as in want....well, yes, many of us do. :-)

I always wanted a Hasselblad, but could never afford one (and certainly not a second lens!). So I've had a variety of medium and large format cameras over the past 25 years. Mamiya TLRs, Pentax 67, 4x5 field and view cameras. All excellent cameras and optics....most of which I still own and enjoy using.

But a year ago I walked into my local used camera equipment store (like yours, a pusher) and found a mint condition 501CM, A12 back and 80mm CFE lens for just under $2,000. I thought, if not now, when? And so, after a few days of hesitation, I bought it. Needless to say, I love it.....but then, I still love using my Pentax 67 and Mamiya TLR too. Contrary to many die hard Hasselblad users, I really don't think the Zeiss optics are infinitely better than the Pentax or Mamiya optics....at least, not that I can see. But the Hasselblad is a joy to use and I've always enjoyed the square format.

The price of used Hasselblad gear (including excellent/near mint condition lenses) is now within reach of mere mortals.....so if you find a good camera for a good price....I say, go for it! I don't think you'll ever regret it.

Fair warning however.....if you're like me, that first purchase is just the beginning. One year later, my Hasselblad kit now includes a 553ELX, 3 A12 backs, a new 503CWD-II (16 megapixel Hasselblad CFV-II digital back) and a slew of Zeiss glass (40mm CFE IF, 50mm CFi, 80mm CFE, 100mm CFE, 120mm CFE Makro and 150mm CFi). Ok, so I've gone off the deep end....I'll admit it. :-)

So the initial $2,000 purchase was just the beginning.....but it would have cost me much more if I had bought this equipment 10 years ago (or bought it new today). The good news.....used Hasselbald gear is ALMOST a bargain now. :-)

Seriously.....it's a great camera and a pleasure to use. But we can all still take great photos (even do serious photography) with whatever comes to hand.

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hasselblads are like high society models:
    They look great, they will probably deliver the goods, but they will empty your pocket and leave you on the street begging for spare change. Definitely hard to get by, high maintenance and addictive.
    Thankfully these days its like aristocrats just after a revolution: they can be had for little money.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin