Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,026   Online: 886

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I know! It's just funny to see these packs of 3 rolls with these hipster pictures on the outside...whatever fills the wallets of the film makers so they keep making the stuff I shoot (for $3 a roll) is just ducky fine with me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like that this gets medium format film and cameras, of whatever kind and price, in front of the public.

In downtown Toronto, there's a lot of wannabe hipsters who shop Urban Outfitters. I doubt they would comb the goodwill, not knowing what to look for, in the hopes of a camera.

For the premium price, Urban Outfitters is selling you a new camera, in a package. They provide film for that camera. They sell books of Holga photos, showing what is possible. Heck, they even provide the roll of tape to plug light leaks. How cheeky/funny is that? You get the whole Holga experience, and don't have to rely on any arcane knowledge. That's worth a certain premium to many people.

This is an audience that knows the street-cred of analog. They probably own an old turntable and a couple of pieces of vinyl to play for friends at parties. Holga has the same street cred, but for a hipster who otherwise never uses a camera, medium format could be off-putting.

Last time I was at a flea market, I was perusing the used camera dealer's table. There was an 18 or 20 year old girl oggling all of the funky-looking cameras. She exuded excitement and loved the idea of an old funky camera. She was drawn to the classic lines of the Speed Graphic, and was pretty close to buying an Argus TLR. But without the proper knowledge, she almost bought a 620 camera. Wouldn't she be better off going to Urban Outfitters and getting a camera that is guaranteed to come with instructions and a roll of film?

Finally, at least in Toronto, I don't see Holgas for sale in the camera shops. Pikto, the hipster storefront lab, carries the same Lomo packages as Urban Outfitters. That's about it. So I'd rather see the cameras out in front of people on Yonge Street, than not at all.
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kodachrome64 View Post
    Wow, they are screwing people on that film!
    The same way that Logographic "Society" screws people on cheap cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You're only getting screwed if you don't know better.

No one is forcing you to buy a roll of film for $6.

We should all be frickin' thrilled that people are even buying them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe they are Canadian .

120 Kodak B & W film, from Canadian online retailers, is usually about $5.00 per roll.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    the film is probably to use in the Holgas they sell. The film and the cameras are selling for twic what they sell for at a real camera store (BW 120 film is normally $3-$4 a roll, Holgas are about $25)
    holgas, new for $25 .. did they fall off the truck?

3 years ago when i bought mine new, it cost more than
    $25 ...

the film is an impuse buy, and used to "balloon the sale"
    like a photo store might do. " do you need film or cable releases,
    or filter systems, or data guides, or this pop up hood, or (fill in the blank )"
    to go with that camera you just bought ...

Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    You're only getting screwed if you don't know better.

No one is forcing you to buy a roll of film for $6.

We should all be frickin' thrilled that people are even buying them.
    thanks david, my thoughts exactly!

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, did you offer to develop and print it for them, at say $20.00/roll?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by filmamigo View Post
    I like that this gets medium format film and cameras, of whatever kind and price, in front of the public.

In downtown Toronto, there's a lot of wannabe hipsters who shop Urban Outfitters. I doubt they would comb the goodwill, not knowing what to look for, in the hopes of a camera.

For the premium price, Urban Outfitters is selling you a new camera, in a package. They provide film for that camera. They sell books of Holga photos, showing what is possible. Heck, they even provide the roll of tape to plug light leaks. How cheeky/funny is that? You get the whole Holga experience, and don't have to rely on any arcane knowledge. That's worth a certain premium to many people.

This is an audience that knows the street-cred of analog. They probably own an old turntable and a couple of pieces of vinyl to play for friends at parties. Holga has the same street cred, but for a hipster who otherwise never uses a camera, medium format could be off-putting.

Last time I was at a flea market, I was perusing the used camera dealer's table. There was an 18 or 20 year old girl oggling all of the funky-looking cameras. She exuded excitement and loved the idea of an old funky camera. She was drawn to the classic lines of the Speed Graphic, and was pretty close to buying an Argus TLR. But without the proper knowledge, she almost bought a 620 camera. Wouldn't she be better off going to Urban Outfitters and getting a camera that is guaranteed to come with instructions and a roll of film?

Finally, at least in Toronto, I don't see Holgas for sale in the camera shops. Pikto, the hipster storefront lab, carries the same Lomo packages as Urban Outfitters. That's about it. So I'd rather see the cameras out in front of people on Yonge Street, than not at all.
    Pikto is that gallery/photo store in the old brewery district, right? The prices for a Holga there are insane.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by filmamigo View Post
    This is an audience that knows the street-cred
    Hmmmpf. I would say the customer base at this store has not a single shred of street-cred. That's why they shop there - exchanging clues for 32% credit card debt.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    holgas, new for $25 .. did they fall off the truck?

3 years ago when i bought mine new, it cost more than
    $25 ...

the film is an impuse buy, and used to "balloon the sale"
    like a photo store might do. " do you need film or cable releases,
    or filter systems, or data guides, or this pop up hood, or (fill in the blank )"
    to go with that camera you just bought ...

John
    Standard Holga is $27.99 at Freestyle. Not much more than $25 and about 1/3 what that Urban Outfitters place is asking.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin