Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,326   Online: 1102

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Medium Format at the Mall

So I'm walking through Lenox Square which is a posh shopping Mall here in Atlanta, as I pass by Urban Outfitters, I notice a display of Holgas and Dianas--no kidding, toy film cameras in the land of ripped jeans and hoodies. Here's the kind of "twilight zone part": They're selling some generic 100ASA B&W 120 film in a 3 pack for $18! That's 6 bucks a roll! And the clerk says they're selling it like crazy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They just opened Urban Outfitters here in Albuquerque and I did see a lot of film cameras there. I did not notice the film.

UO is also working with Lomographic Society on books and contests.

Here is the page of cameras at UO.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow, they are screwing people on that film!
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kodachrome64 View Post
    Wow, they are screwing people on that film!
    I bet that the film is mostly profit for them. That is steep!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They're selling some generic 100ASA B&W 120 film in a 3 pack for $18! That's 6 bucks a roll! And the clerk says they're selling it like crazy.
    you made me curious, we have an UO store in our Mall; mind you they may not have same policy on this side of the border. anyway 6 buck for a no-name roll of film is a rip-off. question is why are people buying them? what are the chances for regular UO shoppers to be owners of MF gear
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Might be a good introduction to film for folks with money to spend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chop61 View Post
    Urban Outfitters ... Holgas and Dianas ... 100ASA B&W 120 film in a 3 pack for $18!
    It's a store for wanna-be's: Selling newly made Chinese rip-offs of genuine thrift-store clothing. The cameras are par for the course: _genuine_ Dianas come from the Goodwill store for $2.00 for a grocery bag full.

Chivas Ad: "Your daughter just spent $150 for a pair of jeans a cowboy threw out and you are still drinking cheap scotch?"
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Holy cow, so does this mean we'll be seeing this stuff at convenience marts and the dentist's office? Instead of a bowl of candies by the door, maybe a bowl of mini cameras, and then sell the film for eight bucks a roll. Why did the sheer beauty of this business plan occur to me earlier?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The actual Holga camera is $70 there. It's the flash version and comes with a roll of the no-name film and some black tape

I'm just glad I know better than that But hey, if it supports film at the cost of some buyers who don't do any research on their purchases, I'm all for it!
    www.cjphillipsphoto.com

"Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Shooter
    Medium Format
    the film is probably to use in the Holgas they sell. The film and the cameras are selling for twic what they sell for at a real camera store (BW 120 film is normally $3-$4 a roll, Holgas are about $25)
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin