Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,075   Online: 942

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

What The Best Bargain Medium Format These Days Due to Digital?

Hi everyone! My fist post here, so be kind!

I'm looking to get my first medium format camera. As much as some people on this site bemoan the day digital cameras were invented, I'm excited because today it realy is a buyer's market!

What system in the $1-2K range U.S. money, would give me the best bang for my buck as an all-around versatile system?

Thanks!

Michael

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Unless you're looking for artsy holgaish cameras you're best off with a rangefinder or Twin lens relflex (TLR). Remember the lens is the only part of a camera that makes a difference in the end quality, the rest is a glorified box. I got the seagul chinese imitation and have been pretty pleased, but the optics could be a bit better. Look for a yashicamat of something of that nature. There is one TLR that you can change lenses, someone might be of help there.

If you have money to burn or just want to show off you can get a Hasselblad. I'm not nearly an expert but I used one once and its completely awesome. Nice lenses too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mamiya RB system. With $2000 you should be able to buy a very large number of lenses. Mamiya RZ would also be good and offers nearly the same prices. Mamiya 645 Super/Pro/ProTL would also fall into this category but the frame size is smaller.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What do you photograph and how do you do it? Studio? Landscapes while backpacking? Macro? Do you mind shooting off a tripod or does it need to be handheld?

For $1000-2000, there are plenty of options depending on your needs.

For studio, the Mamiya RBs are a great deal. For backpacking, the Mamiya 7 is no bargain, but is vastly more comfortable to carry than a Hasselblad system. For low-profile street shooting, a TLR is my favorite option.

Shooter
    35mm
    I worked it out the other day. On KEH right now, you can get a Mamiya C330 With 105mm f/3.5 (For portability), An RB67 with WLF, 110mm f/2.8, 250mm f4.5 APO, 50mm f/4.5.

Grand total: $1,505.

It gives you the best of both worlds, a 6x7 system for studio/portraits/car based travelling. A 6x6 TLR for street and portability.

All for five dollars above your lower end.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a Bronica SQ-A, prism finder, 50/3.5, 80/2.8 and 150/3.5, plus three film backs (2 120 and 1 220) for well under a thousand bucks shipped from KEH not long ago, all of it (except the 120 backs) in EX-rated condition or better. I think this is a fabulous bargain for equipment of this ilk.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For that amount of money you could buy a Koni-Omega M or Rapid Omega 200 and all the lenses and accessories.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You could put together a Bronica S2a kit with about 5 lenses and three backs for $2K, and probably a few other accessories as well.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That's a big budget, if you are interested, here is a full Hasselblad system...body, lens, meter and filters. When shopping for a camera the systems might be as important as the "type" (SLR, TLR, Rangefinder etc). I prefer the flexibility of a removable back, without a bellows. This set up is all manual so no battery to make it work. (pros and cons for that). http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pho/835068456.html Let me know if he only will deal locally, I will help.
    Robland - Seattle area

Insert "catch phrase" here...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    Mamiya RB system. With $2000 you should be able to buy a very large number of lenses. Mamiya RZ would also be good and offers nearly the same prices. Mamiya 645 Super/Pro/ProTL would also fall into this category but the frame size is smaller.
    I agree.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Kubach; 09-14-2008 at 06:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin